Using tree timber

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeesnob

Sorry if this subject has been done to death but i did a search and came up empty :oops: :?

I am looking for a nice piece of timber to fit a 4x2x2 viv for basking as my babies get bigger - google has not been great at bringing up suppliers of bigger bits of java, mangrove roots or even bark - So i am thinking about vandalizing a tree in my garden.

But need to know how to treat it and if any types are unhealthy for BD's

alternatively a suggested supplier in the yorkshire area would be nice

MikeILC

Hatchling Member
We all would suggest baking it in the oven. Or depending on the size you could always boil it. I do believe its 140 degrees Fahrenheit for it to kill the germs/parasites. I'm not sure about how long to bake it. maybe like 30 minutes on 160 degrees?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I get mine all from outside, you can wash them with bleach/rinse well or bake them. I don't do more than hose them off well.

Stick to hard woods and nothing sappy or infested.

You say use hard woods and nothing sappy. How about Madrona? Anyone know if this is a good wood or not? I live on Whidbey Island and there are quite a few fir, madrona, and some pine, not to mention birch, and cotton wood. I'd like to use some wood for my little BD to climb on so he/she (believe its a she) can get closer to the warm heat bulb if she chose to, or even to the UVA/UVB bulb. Just curious...There are even beach wood that washes up on the shore here...What do you all use and or recommend?

Zeek

I typically stick with driftwood. It's sometimes difficult to identify and/or research different types of timber, and whether or not it's safe for a specific pet. I get peace of mind by assuming that the lack of bark, sap, and odors in driftwood, takes some of the guess work out of compatibility with all my critters. Of course I boil everything before putting it in an enclosure. Just 10-15 minutes on a rolling boil.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
Sailor98277":3c289eri said:
You say use hard woods and nothing sappy. How about Madrona? Anyone know if this is a good wood or not? I live on Whidbey Island and there are quite a few fir, madrona, and some pine, not to mention birch, and cotton wood. I'd like to use some wood for my little BD to climb on so he/she (believe its a she) can get closer to the warm heat bulb if she chose to, or even to the UVA/UVB bulb. Just curious...There are even beach wood that washes up on the shore here...What do you all use and or recommend?
birch is better and if you cut it let it sit in the sun for a few days (bring it out of the rain i fit rains) to dry it really well then soak it in a tub of 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water with an air tight lid in the sun (like making tea) this leeches out the tannins AND kills off mold, parasites, and bacteria. once you have done this sun bake it again to dry it most of the way out then start at the lowest setting of your oven and raise it 10-15 degrees every half hour till it reaches 225 then let it sit in the oven while it cools (225 for half an hour then off) and viola you have treated wood. btw dont put green wood in the oven it can explode......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom