Is this a good Beardie Schedual

I'm getting a female beardie just over a year old. Is this a good weekly schedule
90388-2569564646.jpg

And is this an ok set up. I have a 55 gallon tank, 65 watt basking globe basking area rests at 35 to 40 degrees Celsius. Cool side sits at 26 degrees Celsius.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You don't need to schedule everything so strictly unless you really want to. It's good to set the lights on timers so they are regular but the feedings can vary. For a little one you want 2-3 bug meals per day for about 10 minutes all they want to eat. The number will vary. Try a variety of bugs. Crickets are fine as a staple but I'd mix in some silk worms or black soldier fly larvae for variety. Salad is good to offer every day but a young dragon may ignore them in favor of bugs until their growth slows.

I advise keeping the lights on a bit longer. 14hrs is a pretty decent amount of daytime cycle but you can rotate it around your schedule. It helps to have the lights come on early to give time to warm up. They can be grumpy first thing in the morning so I have my lights turn on about 45min-1hr before I get up.

Regular baths and misting aren't really necessary either. Baths are OK if the dragon doesn't get stressed out by them but they aren't worth stress. Baths are only really needed if the dragon gets dirty/soiled or is stinky. You can spray the nose or drip water on the nose to give them a chance to lick up some extra water which is good but don't force it. They can get most of the water they need from well hydrated bugs and fresh veg.

Your basking light is close but you may want to use a slightly more powerful bulb. I have good luck with halogen flood light bulbs. You can set them higher above the tank or set them on a lamp dimmer to adjust the temps. Shoot for about 38-43 in the basking area and about 24-27 on the cool end.

Most importantly, what are you planning to use for a UVB light? Proper UVB exposure is critical to their health and should be considered carefully. What is the distance from the top of the tank where the UVB light would sit to the basking area?

Arniebeardie94

Original Poster
Hey, yeah I know but i had a baby one and it died so I wanna do everything right this time. As for the heat I also have a 75 watt one but that gets to over 40 degrees really quickly in the basking area. As for the uvb it's an Arcadia d3 compact 23 watt lamp with 10% uvb. I can't use tubes because my tank isn't big enough. And your right maybe one to two baths a week and the misting is just so it drinks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tested that UVB light but guessing on it's output based on similar bulbs I'd say the optimal distance is more around 15-20cm. The output of the compacts I've tested drops off dramatically beyond about 20cm. I would try building a branch or area that gets to within 15-20cm of the bulb if you can.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom