help with Kumo. My Bearded Dragon. He is Sick!

lindalaeloni

Hello my name is Linda. Can anyone help me? My Sweet baby KUMO is a Bearded Dragon; Hand fed EVERYTHING yes I spoiled him. now approx. 6 years old; 16" long. I have had his company since he was 10mo. old, rescued him from a 10yr.old whom had given to me 1/2 alive at the time. They were going to dispose of him because he was in such bad shape (severe metabolic disease, not eating, dehydrated) no pet store would take him.
~Kumo is very ill. 10 days ago he started gurgling, gasping and choking. He threw up thick sticky goop with romaine and crickets. I had to help him by pulling this out of his mouth when he could not get it all out, then gently breath in his mouth then he started to breath again. This happened 3x. at one point I thought he died but after breathing air in him a few times he gained conscience.
~ Took Kumo to the Vet 10 days ago. 1. he gave barium and x-rays and said he was holding most in the throat but I did see the barium had gone through. (Some) 2. gave me injections to give him for what he thought was a possible infection in throat due to smell as well and he cleared his throat with forceps and gauze, told me to give him watery mouthfuls of baby food chicken every hour. 3. Antibiotic/Vitamin injection of .30cc every 24hrs. Kumo weighs 1lb. Return in 7 days.
~ I returned this past Thurs. he was not much better. Still gurgling with goop in throat. Still throwing up goop. Again I had to help clear out his throat. The vet raised his injections to .40cc every 24hrs. and told me to tube feed him. 2x a day and I have been for 3 days. and return in 10days from the 12th of July.
~Last night the goop turned to a brown/red colour thin in texture. He started to gurgle and gasp and choke and when I saw his nose wet I knew he was in trouble. He buried his head straight down, eyes swelled and he turned black and quit breathing. (This was 4 hours after tube feeding hin and 1 hour after injection) I put wooden med q-tip sticks across his mouth and tilted him downward and approx. 1 table spoon of this brown/red liquid poured out of his mouth. I had to do this 2x in a row then breath in his mouth then he came back to me. His breath smells like sulphur. He remains black bearded he is so uncomfortable and breathing heavy, holds it, then heavy. He has a strong heart beat. When he pooped on the white towel,(not like him) the outer ring was PINK! The same colour as antibiotics! He will open his eyes periodically only when I hold him out side, I feel the sun will help. I can not lose my little friend. He will lick me when I ask for kisses and is potty trained. We have had coffee(me) and his eating crickets/fruit treats every morning for 6 years. My Baby needs more help. Tonight he just wants to rest and wont open his eyes when I pick him up. BUT pulls his leg up irritated at me when I rub his back toes. His beard is not white and peach yet, still black and he always turns light when I hold him. Not today.
~DO I CONTINUE INJECTIONS? DO I TUBE FEED? TODAY I LET HIM BE UNTIL I KNOW THE MEDS ARE NOT MAKING HIM WORSE. I DID NOT FEED HIM TODAY, I NEED TO KNOW IF MAYBE BABYFOOD IS SOURING IN HIS TUMMY. HOW LONG CAN HE GO WITHOUT A MEAL? HE IS WEAK INTERMITTENTLY WHAT DO I DO? THE GURGLING IS NOT AS BAD BUT STILL PRESENT. WE BOTH NEED SLEEP! I also gave him 1/2 pediolite and water 10 days ago for a few days before vet visit and put it in his water plate he soaks in. He lately would stay in his water from 7am til 6pm still there after work. I had to take him out. can he get too much water. I put him on it to help with possible dehydration. For 2 days I did not help him in his water so he has not moved, he is too busy trying to not gurgle and breath. Can anyone Help Us? Please Please Please.
Thank you. Linda.
Tank temp: 90-95* cool side 70-80 (had to take all logs and basking log out because when he would fall/roll off, he would end up on back and not able to get back over.(6-7 months ago.)
news paper bottom (flat sheets thick for insulation. hand and mid sized towels to raise up and snuggle in at night and with the acceptation of a week, tucked him in every night , covering him with a thick hand towel and in the morning if he opened his eyes at me? I would uncover him. If not, would let him sleep till he crawled out himself.
and water dish and wading plate to soak in.
A no light ceramic heat emitter at night, mercury 100watt bulb uvb/uva during the day.
Tank size: 36x18x16 40 gallon critter tank.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
I am so sorry to hear about your precious baby! I don't know what I'd do if something happened to any of mine! Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you but I hope someone will come along soon that can help you! I'll pray that Kumo gets well!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Linda,

I had not seen your post in this section. I usually try to check this section weekly...
I am glad to hear you are seeing some improvements on Kumo. I pm'd you this evening.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom