bearded dragon lighting helpp !

so I'm gonna get a pair of bearded dragons soon and i just want to know if i set my lights correctly.

Ive got a 4ft by 2ft by 2 ft enclosure on the hot side ive got a 100 watt sun glo tight beam basking lamp, a 36 inch 10.0 uvb tube along the back reptiglo , and on the cool side a ceramic heat emitter at 60 watt to keep the cage warm at night as it gets really cold here ( only in winter )

please any help will be appreciated. this lighting issue is doing my head in as everyone says something different. thanks again

MissT

BD.org Addict
It all sounds good except for the repti-glo - they have been known to cause eye issues and lethargy. If you can, switch it for an Arcadia D3 12% (im pretty sure they are available in Australia).

Also, are you intending to keep them together? Keeping a breeding pair together can cause a lot of stress for the female as the male will dominate and over breed her. There will also be competition for food etc. If you want to keep a healthy pair, I would keep them separated, only putting them together for the actual breeding process.

billreptiles

Original Poster
thanks for the reply

i was planning on keeping them together but now im having second thoughts. lol since im getting them at a young age can i keep them in a enclosure till a certain age ? ive got a 75 gallon tank as well but i built the enclosure thinking i would put 2 in there.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I would keep them apart immediately if at all possible. Issues of dominance can start very early on- I got one at 8 weeks old who's foot had been chomped on by his clutchmates! It was not nice at all!!! The 75 gallon will be fine. A 4x2x2 is ideal for 1 full grown adult.
You sound like you are going to make a super beardie slave :)

billreptiles

Original Poster
oh ok. how about if i get 2 females then when they get older get a male . or is having 2 in general not good?

lmaoo yeah i no. it because its my first reptile and want to do as good a job as i can. :) thanks for your help

MissT

BD.org Addict
Females can sometimes live together without issue but there are still high risks of dominance and at some point one might decide to take a bite out of the other. Essentially, beardies are solitary reptiles that only come together for mating :) my phoebe lived with 2 females for a few hours one day- she ate all of the food and chased the others away from the basking spot. She was bigger than them and used it to her advantage to dominate the group despite the fact that she was the outsider!

Keep us posted on what you decide and get some pics when you get them :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom