reptile greens

rush96

hey guys
i always hear of greens such as mustard greens, endives, escarole etc. but honestly i have no idea what they are or more importantly where to get them
please help thanks :)

Hey Rush96! :)

Mustard Greens is an American term, and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what they are!

Endive is definitely an Australian green - I usually get mine from Woolies in the fruit and veg section. However, at the moment, according to "my people" down here, it's not readily available at the moment - out of season I think...

Escarole is another American term, and again, not 100% sure what it is!

If you can't find Endive, use extra Bok Choy, Parsley and Watercress in lieu of endive. I had to do that the last batch I made (I make a 90litre tub at a time, handful in each freezer bag, pop them in the freezer. Just remember, the freezing process destroys Thiamine (Vitamin B1), so add a pinch of Thiamine once a week, and you should be fine! (you can get Thiamine tablets from any Chemist or Health Food Store - crush with a mortar&pestle - or between two soup spoons - until finely 'powdered', and store in a cool, dark place.

Hope this helps, and I'm really sorry I didn't reply earlier (haven't been on here in a while!)

Best,
Carolyn

rush96

Original Poster
thanks that was really helpful
i did check out woolies earlier today and i found some endives (baby endives) so i guess they r still in season

also dandelion greens are just normal dandelions right? could i use the ones that grow in my yard?

You're welcome! :)

Yes, Baby Endive is just as good as "normal" Endive, and my lot seem to prefer it! Maybe it has a slightly sweeter taste, I don't know!

Dandelion Greens are just that - what WE find in our yards and swear at! If you're going to use them, make ABSOLUTELY certain there has been no usage of pesticides, weed-killer etc, and wash them THOROUGHLY! To be honest, I prefer to give my lot a Bok Choy leaf to chew on over something "wild" - err on the side of caution... And they apparently like the yellow dandelion flowers too - again, wash thoroughly.

They also like Nasturtium ("adult" Watercress) leaves and flowers - we have that growing wild in our yard too!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Carolyn

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom