reptile greens

rush96

hey guys
i always hear of greens such as mustard greens, endives, escarole etc. but honestly i have no idea what they are or more importantly where to get them
please help thanks :)

Hey Rush96! :)

Mustard Greens is an American term, and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what they are!

Endive is definitely an Australian green - I usually get mine from Woolies in the fruit and veg section. However, at the moment, according to "my people" down here, it's not readily available at the moment - out of season I think...

Escarole is another American term, and again, not 100% sure what it is!

If you can't find Endive, use extra Bok Choy, Parsley and Watercress in lieu of endive. I had to do that the last batch I made (I make a 90litre tub at a time, handful in each freezer bag, pop them in the freezer. Just remember, the freezing process destroys Thiamine (Vitamin B1), so add a pinch of Thiamine once a week, and you should be fine! (you can get Thiamine tablets from any Chemist or Health Food Store - crush with a mortar&pestle - or between two soup spoons - until finely 'powdered', and store in a cool, dark place.

Hope this helps, and I'm really sorry I didn't reply earlier (haven't been on here in a while!)

Best,
Carolyn

rush96

Original Poster
thanks that was really helpful
i did check out woolies earlier today and i found some endives (baby endives) so i guess they r still in season

also dandelion greens are just normal dandelions right? could i use the ones that grow in my yard?

You're welcome! :)

Yes, Baby Endive is just as good as "normal" Endive, and my lot seem to prefer it! Maybe it has a slightly sweeter taste, I don't know!

Dandelion Greens are just that - what WE find in our yards and swear at! If you're going to use them, make ABSOLUTELY certain there has been no usage of pesticides, weed-killer etc, and wash them THOROUGHLY! To be honest, I prefer to give my lot a Bok Choy leaf to chew on over something "wild" - err on the side of caution... And they apparently like the yellow dandelion flowers too - again, wash thoroughly.

They also like Nasturtium ("adult" Watercress) leaves and flowers - we have that growing wild in our yard too!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Carolyn

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom