Thinking about getting a Uromastyx

Status
Not open for further replies.

maya001

Im considering getting a Uromastyx in the near future when i have the money and know i can properly take care of it. so ive been reading more about they're care and set up. i know they need high uvb and heat but everyone says different temps, and a 10hr heat time. so i want to know the exact heat for the hot and cold side?

the size of tank recommended? i want to build a wood cage with the sliding doors to hold the heat in better but i haven't found a good instructions for the cage, i would like to build a 4 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft tank.

also they're bedding whats the best type?
and types of hides and rocks, cause ive seen they like being more close to the ground and burrow?
also how do they get most of the water ? with a water dish or they're food?

whats they're diet like too? i know they're vegetarians and eat seeds and the babies eat bugs until full grown? but what exact foods and how often?

i live in Georgia and ive tried looking for a breeder because i dont wanna go through a pet store, there are some reptile expos that are here but not often

i appreciate the help

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I absolutely love uros. I'm hoping I'll be getting 1.. or 2 this year or next. I had a saharan in the past and she was amazing.

The temps will depend on the type of uro you have. There are many different types of uros and some have different husbandry needs. For example, a 4x2x2 is suitable for most uros, but not an egyptian. Egyptian Uros get pretty large.

I'd suggest deciding on which type of uro you want (or can find) and then researching that ones needs in particular.

For my Saharan (calcifer) I had a 125-130 basking spot, low height hides, and she was housed on birdseed. She only ate salad and her bird seed.

You most likely will need to buy online unless you have local breeders who go to the expos.

-Brandon

maya001

Original Poster
claudiusx":3kp4gm1i said:
Hi there,

I absolutely love uros. I'm hoping I'll be getting 1.. or 2 this year or next. I had a saharan in the past and she was amazing.

The temps will depend on the type of uro you have. There are many different types of uros and some have different husbandry needs. For example, a 4x2x2 is suitable for most uros, but not an egyptian. Egyptian Uros get pretty large.

I'd suggest deciding on which type of uro you want (or can find) and then researching that ones needs in particular.

For my Saharan (calcifer) I had a 125-130 basking spot, low height hides, and she was housed on birdseed. She only ate salad and her bird seed.

You most likely will need to buy online unless you have local breeders who go to the expos.

-Brandon

i would really love a male ornata uromastyx but ive heard theyre hard to find and are pretty expensive. which types are better at being handled and are more friendly?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I want ornate also. They are some of the harder ones to find just because they are in high demand.

I'm not sure if certain species are friendly than others. I'd imagine it comes down to the specific animal and how much time you spend trying to tame them.

Calcifer was a pain for the first 2 years until I really started trying with her. Then she became just like my beardies.

-Brandon

maya001

Original Poster
claudiusx":2enebb8c said:
I want ornate also. They are some of the harder ones to find just because they are in high demand.

I'm not sure if certain species are friendly than others. I'd imagine it comes down to the specific animal and how much time you spend trying to tame them.

Calcifer was a pain for the first 2 years until I really started trying with her. Then she became just like my beardies.

-Brandon

do the ornate uros have about the same care demands? like the heat? also whats the best bedding for them and diet like?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":1ftw70ws said:
+1

maya001":1ftw70ws said:
do the ornate uros have about the same care demands? like the heat? also whats the best bedding for them and diet like?
You say you want an Ornate Uromastyx, but you haven't read any care sheets? :shock:

You might want to consider an Ackies Monitor. Like BDs, they're from Australia, so have very similar care requirements.

maya001

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1h0xaej1 said:
claudiusx":1h0xaej1 said:
+1

maya001":1h0xaej1 said:
You say you want an Ornate Uromastyx, but you haven't read any care sheets? :shock:

You might want to consider an Ackies Monitor. Like BDs, they're from Australia, so have very similar care requirements.

yes ive read care sheets but they all say different heat temps and bedding, so i came on here to see what others used or suggested, thanks

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
maya001":t0fcmch8 said:
yes ive read care sheets but they all say different heat temps and bedding, so i came on here to see what others used or suggested, thanks
We must be reading different care sheets. All of those on the link I provided are in agreement on temps & bedding choices.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom