New Rescues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBosley

Hey Everyone!
Going to try and be more active on here now that I have a laptop, haha.

Last night I rescued two Mali Uromastyx.... one is male and the other female, or at least thats what I was told! Also told they aren't that old, under a year. The original owners were going to euthanize them if a home wasn't found, so I took them in. I have 0 Uro experience, but they couldn't find someone who wanted them and had experience. The female has part of her tail missing, and has this white crust on her lips and the male is starting to get the crusty mouth as well. Apparently they have been to a vet and it is NOT mouth rot, but who knows if thats true. When I tried looking it up and asking my vet (without them being seen) they said it sounds like salt build up? If anyone has any experience with this issue I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some advice!

They are eating like champs and the tank is 130F in basking area an 87F the rest of the tank. I currently have no substrate and not alot in there for them, but this was not a planned rescue.... will get them more setup soon! I would also love to know if they can have a "bath" to try and help with their shedding and the white crusty lips.

Second photo is the female and third is the male.

6e3xodIxAQlqpqKcE8M6DhjEHqJu5p6ortFPpWA0qNI%2CyQJ0ph60OmFKcmfVyftuvkRuzBexkTZuOgqWuLFqj-I

KtleMaOYfJnKjW3JgHxRlN8ns03sboggYfNha4GOlmw%2C03HdPbGw2swex2UC8gmHnOEVVMdO_OJxS-eiAG05SCc

kQa5sk2hRjDe8yzqnQdn0MZlJfk-6wCz8iNm8CutUaw%2CIKwdJZnoRtYjctqKTff5j0qDmwVDl6vo5fdeZZvnUjw

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you are able to give them a good home! I'm unable to see the photos your posted though. I don't have any advice to give regarding Uros but wish you the best luck with them. If you need a good exotics vet you may want to check with the small animal clinic at the university up in Guelph. They may have some good resources available to help you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....can you get your pics posted on here ? This is how:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Then hit XIMG......or you can load them to a site like photobucket , then copy/paste the url/img here.

Uro's do excrete salt, that's probably what you're seeing. You can wipe it off or let it fall off. What are you feeding them ? If they're very underweight, just give good succulent greens but not legumes until they are hydrated . No bugs for them, that is not part of their diet at all, esp. if they are dehydrated. Protein can damage their kidneys. You can give them a substrate of sand/topsoil dampened very slightly , they like to dig and the slight humidity will help them to shed. Hopefully they will do well for you. :)

How are they doing now? I'd love to see some pix.

I rescued a Red Niger Uro and I did not have any idea how to help her either. She had parasites, was dehydrated, unconscious, and a black color. I had help from my local reptile shop owner and also some good websites. The one thing I would suggest is to find out if they need to eat seeds and beans. Mine always has a dish of beans and seeds mixed with calcium powder. I also bathe her about half as much as a Beardie. A lot of books say they can get all the water they need from food, but I do not think this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom