Picking a Uromastyx Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhawk

So my wife and I have talked about adding a Uromastyx to our collection but I have been reading a lot about all the different Uros and I see not all need the same care. So wanted to post this question here before we buy any animals. This is not our first reptile we have been keeping Bearded Dragons, Geckos and Tortoise for years. But Uros are something we have both always like and now we feel it's time to get one (or a pair).

My concern is we live in Indiana and the humidity is kinda high so I want to make sure a Uromastyx will do well in our area. From what I have learned a Uromastyx will do okay in higher humidity for a while but they will start to fade and their life span will be shortened for sure. I would rather not get a Uro if it means they won't do well for us.

The enclosure will be 4'x2'x2' enclosure with screen front door, mounted UVB and Heat lights. Right now it is ceramic tile substrate but that could easily be changed. The enclosure will be keep indoors in the winter it's very dry with the furnace running but in the spring and summer it does get kind of humid. Sorry I don't have a meter so I don't know exact levels but out side its 80% most days.

From what I have read some Uros species do better in higher humidity but no one really says what species those are. Right now we are leaning toward the Ornate or Mali Uromastyx because of the colors and smaller size. I am also hoping to find some captive breed because I hear they adjust better then wild caught(plus other reason). But I'm finding very little info on if these guys will do good in higher humidity levels.

So can you guys/gals help point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom