Taming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I have Mali Uromastyx I STILL have NOT named so if you have any good VERY unique names I would love to see them! I have 2 normal names pets my dog Lincoln and my bearded Miriam.
My cat Kyeri is the only uniquely names pet and I want to even it out with another unique named pet :)
BUT to the topic of my whole post!
My Uromastyx No Name is EXTREMELY fearful!
I walk up to the cage and he/she runs away and hides. I have to wear a glove so when I get wiped with that amazing tail it doesnt hurt. I have not been bitten and No Name has not tried to bite me. Which gives me hope that the beast (lovingly refereed to as by my sister) can be tamed :)
So what I have been doing is approaching the cage as slow as I can and lifting the lid VERY slowly and then slowly putting my hand in the cage. By now No Name has retreated to the right side of the tank on to cool side wedging between the wall and the hide. This is when I move the hide away from the wall and grab No Name. I have grabbed No Name by the tail :( but for good reason. I had No Name in my hand and being brave the poor thing thought flying would be a great idea and I caught him/her by his/her tail :( I was so sorry she hasn't behaved any differently so I dont think it traumatized her. I just didnt want him to hit the
ground. I cant tell if No Name is a boy or girl either.

I hold No Name for about 5 minutes and return her/him back to the cage where No Name quickly runs to the hot hide to calm down. This is where No Name will spend about 20-30 minutes before emerging again. :(

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Your attemps to tame no name.. could eventually kill him. I responded to your previous post.. where I said you need to leave him completely alone for a few months.. then slowly start to bribe him with thawed frozen peas. Has he started eating yet? With most pets.. handling helps.. with your uro, every time you try to handle him or touch him or even put your hand in the cage.. your making it worse. Also.. they dont forget.. so you may never be able to hold him now. I had to force feed my guy and give him antibiotic injections over a year ago.. when he sees my face or hears my voice he BOLTS.. but everyone else in the house can pet him or pick him up. If i even touch his food.. he can smell me on it and he wont eat it. I cant even feed my own lizard. I didnt have a choice.. it was either piss him off or let him die. You dont have that situation. If you leave him alone.. maybe someday you will be lucky and he wont hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom