Mali Uromastyx, help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Oh my goodness. That's so sad. I guess the MBD gave him the cracked ribs and broken knee. Its amazing how they soldier on even though they are falling apart. I am about to buy new UV bulbs right now.. because Gordos will be a year old in February. I am worried that I have already waited too long to replace it. I really need to invest in a UV meter. I suggest you do the same if you can, that way you know if your bulbs are providing the right amount of UV. I am so glad hes with someone that cares and is paying close attention to him now. Poor baby. He must be in a good deal of pain.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've never even heard of a UV meter? I will definitely put it on my Christmas list!

My vet says he thinks a lot of the pain is gone now (or he's become used to it) because he doesn't react at all when you touch his sides, or knee and the burns are almost all scar tissue. Except the crunchy bit on his side, we are sending it to be tested to make sure he doesn't have a fungal infection from it not healing properly.

I wish I could have been there for him sooner.

Good luck with Gordo! I always enjoy reading your posts! I'll post updates on Anubis as he starts to heal!

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Just ordered my bulbs and uv meter this afternoon. I will let you know if it works! If it does.. it was only $30 on amazon.

Aww cute Uros!

Could be that hes not warm enough. They are very sluggish if not kept at proper temperatures. What are the temps in his house like? Also.. full grown uromastyx do tend to slow down a tiny bit.. but not like what you are describing.

When any animal gets older, they tend to have some physical problems. But if you add more heat and light, maybe take him outside more, and leave him some more space (as in not picking him up so much), he might get a bit better. Hope this helps!
-Lizzy

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Lizzy. I have recently added another heat source and a more intense UV bulb. We saw the vet and confirmed MDB but I'm working on it.

SPIKESHUMAN: I found a "intense 26w 200 UVB bulb" and added it to Anubis' tank, within hours he had perked up. He has been waking up MUCH earlier now, and staying out on his basking spot almost all day. He's even eating his collard greens now. It's only been 2 days since I switched to that one. I'm SO amazed and happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom