Lentils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugwinkle

I have read that Uro's love lentils. How do I prepare them? I see some soak them first and some put them in the cage dry? If you soak them, how long does it take to soak?

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Lentils take about an hour to soak.. the longer they soak the better. I actually let mine sprout. They do eat them dry.. but I would not offer them dry unless your uros eat a ton of greens because the lentils will absorb moisture while the uro tries to digest them. Some people say feed them only as a treat once in a while.. I offered probably 10 sprouted lentils.. 4 days out of the week or so. Before sprouting.. some say lentils are a bit too high in protein to be feed everday... Im no vet so I have no idea for sure.

Pugwinkle

Original Poster
Oh wow! I have just put them in a dish and left them there for them as that is what the previous owner did. How do you sprout them?? Just leave them in water for a few days? How long does it take to sprout?

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I soak them really well for an hour or so then I drain the excess water. Later that night I run water through them and drain it again. I do that probably twice a day until Gordo has eaten them all. They usually sprout sometime on the second day. I keep them in a cereal bowl. I probably do about a tablespoon at a time and they last a week before looking gross. Then I dump them out and start over. Just don't leave them in standing water overnight because they ferment instead of sprout.

Draxx

I place a paper towel on a plate and totally soak it, then pour the water off. Then sprinkle some lentils on the paper towel. Keep it moist with a daily misting and you should see sprouts in a few days.

My Mali Uro is iffy on lentils. Some days yes, some no go..now peas he always loves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom