getting a uromastyx

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
Try some collards and dandelion greens mixed together. Grab some sweet potatoe grate it up offer little of that. My uro also really really likes prickly pear cactus pads or napoles you can get them at a mexican market and sometimes Walmart has them depending where you live. Some pet stores sell it for reptiles but its cheaper to just buy it at a regular store. Just clean the spines off the outside wash it cut it up in little pieces. I would avoid any dry beans etc If they are dehydrated it can burden the kidneys. A little soak in some warm shallow water shouldn't hurt if you make sure to dry him really well esp the tail. When I first got her I would hand feed here some greens she would eat them but just a little at the beginning. It wouldn't hurt to give Doug at Deer Fern Farms a call (360) 435-2679. He was very helpful..it's better to call in the afternoon.

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
null_zps7780e18c.jpg

This is what they sell at pet stores.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I have called Doug. I have done what he asked.. and Gordo's appetite has not come back. I have tried cactus pads.. since I live in texas.. they sell them in the grocery store already cleaned. I have tried dandelion greens.. and dandelions.. I have tried squashes.. both winter and summer.. I have tried thawed frozen mixed peas and carrots.. I have tried escarole and endive.. I have even tried iceberg lettuce just in case he would heat it for hydration... I have tried pansies.. I have tried roses.. I have tried soaked lentils... I have tried sprouted lentils.. I have tried collard greens... I have tried strawberries.. I have tried grapes.. I have tried watermelon... I have tried soaked mazuri tortoise pellets. The problem is.. he will not eat at all. Nothing.. he does not bother with food.. not even his favorite foods.

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
Have you been back to the vet? I'm not sure how long uros can go without eating. I hope he turns out ok. I'm not sure with uros but other herps can be force fed as a last resort. The one I adopted is the only one I've ever had. I have more experience with monitors and beardies. Hopefully your vet can get him back to normal. I know how stressful it can be.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I know uros are not supposed to eat bugs.. but I thought I would try a wax worm... because if nothing else.. its moisture.. and hydration. Guess what... he devoured 8 of them!! He probably would have eaten more.. but I figured its better to go slow. Between Gordo dying.. and me feeding bugs that could harm his organs years from now... I think I will go with a few bugs. Don't worry.. I do not intend to feed him any more than I have to .. to perk him back up.. and they certainly will not be part of his normal diet ever. I am just glad to see my little guy chew and swallow something! Heck.. I am happy to see him move at all. He sits completely still all day long in one spot... in one position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom