Need Advice/Health Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not sure what to do, I can't find any information about this problem and I want to see if anyone else might have some info before I drop a few hundred dollars at the vet.. Our baby Mali female Daisy has acclimated to living with Doug just fine. They sleep together, eat, bask, and glass dance. Daisy is eating normal, gaining weight, pooping normal, and quite active. Having said that there are 3 things that don't make sense to me. First her snalt on her nose is out of control, I mean it's soooo much and Doug eats the same diet and his is almost non-existent. Her diet is varied with healthy greens, veggies, and even edible flowers with the proper supplements daily. The second thing is her eyes are closed a lot, but when you come by the cage or reach inside to clean she opens them and sees fine, and her eyes look healthy no visible issues. Is that weird? The last issue is really the one messing with me and I am most likely taking her to the vet on Friday but I want to know if anyone has seen this. Her bottom lip is super swollen on the left side. At first I thought it was retained shed because the area looks a little lighter in color like she's going in to shed on her face.. Her tongue is okay and she is eating just fine too, but her little lip is so puffy I don't know how it got that way... I know Doug didn't hurt her because he absolutely adores her and is kind of protective of her, and although he's bigger than her he definitely knows it and is extremely careful not to put weight on her or run her over when he's buzzing around the cage..When they snuggle she usually lays on him or he gets beside her gently. I will get some pictures up tomorrow so you can see. Please don't think I neglect my uro because I haven't taken her in yet, I just want to know what my options are...

-Kaleen

Vianeth

If you're on Facebook I recommend you visit this page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/114724383658/

You will get more replies.

I've been dealing with an unhealthy Uro for the past few months. My female yearling developed an infection in her jaw which led to a bone fracture. Rounds of antibiotics, surgery, and many vet visits she is now recovering. Not sure how the infection happened, it just did. I've got a thread going in the FB page about it if you want to check it out.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
She's totally fine. It ended up being almost like a canker sore on the inside of her mouth, and she bit it probably when she was eating. It caused it to swell up on the side of her lip. All we had to do was keep up with the warm compresses we were doing and it eventually healed up. Since then she's doing just fine! We got very very lucky!!

-Kaleen

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
So good to hear! Since we have had Gordo the salt on his nose has increased. Not sure why. He has had endive, escarole, lentils, and a few peas since getting here. Yesterday he ate three pansies.. apparently he really likes flowers!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yea both Daisy and Dougie went through a few months adjustment of heavy snalt, then one day seriously over night it seemed to disappear and now neither of them have any. Just make sure you continue to give Gordo the proper supplements and a varied diet and he'll do just fine. If you get really concerned about it taking him to the vet is always a good idea. That's great you gave him pansies, Dougie and Daisy love hibiscus flowers.

-Kaleen

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I wanted to get a hibiscus.. but I dont know how to keep it alive. Im sure it will do great most of the year here in Texas.. but in the winter.. for about 3 months it does get cold and icky. I put only greens in his house today.. as far as I can tell he ate none of it. I think hes just a spoiled brat. He wants his lentils and peas and flowers. When my son got home he gave Gordo a pansy petal and he ate that. Getting this guy to eat his greens is beginning to stress me out! Tomorrow I am going to try spring mix.. since thats what the breeder fed him.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
How did the spring mix work out? I always mix the spring greens with mustard, collard, or Kale. For whatever reason the uros tend to love the spring mix. Yeah we had a freeze one night in January and all 3 of my hibiscus plants died.. We were out of town or else I would have saved them or attempted to. I'm going to just replace all 3 because not only do the uros love em the beardies do too.

-Kaleen

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I have never gotten Spike to eat a flower. As for Gordo and the spring mix.. He ate it all the first day!!! Today was the second day of spring mix.. and he ate about half.. but I did give him twice as much today just in case. He is still a spoiled brat though... I have to leave a trail of lentils from his hide to the bowl just to get him out and about!!

My Spike is another matter all together... my son found a roach in his shoe the other morning.. so I REALLY want to get spike off roaches for good. I live in Texas and its just TOOO warm here to allow any random dubia loose in the house. Since dubia she refuses crickets.. so I ordered phoenix worms yesterday hoping that she can use those as a staple. Shes still not much of a veggie eater. I bought some beardie pellets today hoping she would eat that.. she licked them over and over like crazy.. but never ate any.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ughh I would hate if I had an escape dubia from our colony :puke: ...luckily we haven't had any, but if I did I would probably order as many phoenix worms as possible! :lol: I was totally against having a colony in the house, but I am glad I gave in because it saved us so much money not only on the feeder itself also on gas from not having to make a trip everyday... Yay Gordo finally gave in and ate his leafy greens!! :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: How cute is that you make a trail of lentils for him, hahahaha that's adorable :lol: Is Gordo a wild eater? Dougie and Daisy are wild when they chow down, I mean they literally throw the food around and play with it while they're eating :dontknow: :laughing6: Daisy will bite in to a piece of greens and whip her head back and forth really violently like a dog playing tug of war... It's so funny. Dougie bites a piece then whips his head back and forth but tosses it away from him. Then he'll run over and pounce on it! I've seen them whip the greens with their tails too :shock: :silent: I guess you'd say my uros are aggressive herbivores, if there's such a thing?!

-Kaleen

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Gordo is the opposite. He is very careful when he eats. He takes a bite.. then looks around the room with leaves sticking out of his mouth. When he is sure no one is watching.. he will munch them down. He looks around again.. then takes a second bite.. and so on. He will not eat if someone is looking at him!! He is ok with people being in the room.. as long as we aren't looking at him. The only reason I know he does this is because I have hid behind the wall to the hallway and watched him. The only things he likes enough to eat while I am watching him are his lentils and flowers. He glass dances all day long.. from the time he wakes up till he goes to sleep. Not crazy fast glass dancing.. just back and forth and back and forth. My son thought maybe he wants out.. so he stuck his hand in.. and Gordo climbed right into his hand!! I have been thinking of buying a plastic kiddie pool and filling it with sand and rocks so that he can go for run abouts in the sun! I almost bought one the other day but i figured it will be a while before its hot enough here for him to be outside, the highest it gets is 80 during the winter. Some days, like today, don't get above 70.

On a completely different note.. I went into Austin today to look at a reptile store (saw a cute female ornate uromastyx), and came home with a lop bunny!! We also saw a really interesting lizard.. it looked like a mini uromastyx with a short fat spikey tail! I cant remember what he called them.. but they were adorable.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The more you describe Gordo to me the more adorable he sounds! I am so happy he's eating and comfortable now. A lot of it was probably due to relocation stress too. Doug and Daisy glass dance all day too, well in between lounging and napping :lol: We got the cutest picture of them today, Daisy is laying right on top of Doug with her head resting on the back of his and her arms stretched all the way out to the sides. Kinda like she did a belly flop and landed on his back, and Doug was just slowly roaming around the cage with her like that! It was too cute. The plastic pool is an awesome idea, I bet Gordo will love that during the summer. We took Doug outside once last summer when the temp was 117. He was in uro heaven, found himself a boulder and positioned himself facing the sun to sun bathe. He did great until another lizard was nearby and a bird flew over him. He took off like a bat out of hell in to underneath the porch over hang for shelter. We didn't realize he could get that much speed! Oh man the other day I was getting dinner ready for the other reptiles and as I was walking past the uro enclosure a cricket jumped out of the bowl and landed in the enclosure. My hands were full so I couldn't dive in after it right away and by the time I freed my hands Doug was in hunting mode. Sure enough he caught it and devoured it. I was so worried I called the vet, and the vet said in the wild there are seasons when the vegetation can be scarce so if they have to eat insects to survive they will. The vet assured me he would be fine, and I could expect to see Doug's snalt build up a bit for a few days. He's just fine and the snalt has gone away again! I have to say it was cool to see him hunt.

-Kaleen

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Gordo woke up this morning with WAY more salt than I had ever seen. Not sure whats causing it. Do you use calcium and vitamins on your uro salad? I have sprinkled a little calcium.. I have not done vits yet. I was wondering if the calcium would cause salt.. because the greens he eats really shouldnt. I know that squashes can cause salt.. and maybe beans.. but hes only getting spring mix. I guess as long as hes eating I wont worry about the salt too much. I am hoping to get more pictures later today and post them... he just moves around so fast that hes hard to catch!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I alternate every other day between calcium sprinkled on his veggies, and then the next day veggie dust, which is vitamins, sprinkled on his veggies. You need to be alternating between the two for a healthy balance. That could be why his snalt is building up so much, his diet is not balanced. The best vitamins to use for uros is Repashy Veggie Dust. You can order it online but you should be able to find it at any reptile shop, probably not petsmart though. You use it just like you do the calcium, just a light dusting every other day on his veggies. Looking forward to seeing new pictures, I know what you mean they are so hard to capture good photos of. They are like on speed, they move from one thing to the next like lightening!

-Kaleen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom