hasn't pooped yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
i rescued a mali uromastyx last saturday, and yes rescued is the right word, the previous owner had no idea how to properly take care of this animal, she didn't even have a basking light or uvb light for him. He was in a 55 gallon before we moved it and the bottom fell out, so he's in a smaller tank till next friday, but his basking spot is 113 degrees and his cool side is 90 degrees. He's eating better now including fruit because i heard it causes loose stools since he hasn't gone to the bathroom yet and it's starting to scare me, he has a vet appointment friday but i'm expecting really bad news from her.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Poor little guy.. I'm glad you rescued him, and yea you may not hear the greatest news on Friday. Do you know how old he might be? To help get him on track till Friday, you could bump up the heat at his basking spot. My Mali prefers a temperature of 126 at his basking spot and about 100 on the hot side. I believe the heat is what helps with digestion.

-Kaleen

herpseeker

Original Poster
He finally pooped after i moved his basking bulb closer, there was a lot of bird seeds in it, the previous owner fed him a diet mainly of bird seeds. I'm not sure how old he is since the previous owner didnt answer that question.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Well I hope everything goes okay at the vet on Friday. Let us know what the vet says, and I'd love to see a picture of the little guy.

-Kaleen

herpseeker

Original Poster
The vet i was hoping to see had an emergency with an iguana so i got another one, first not all bad news yes he has parasites but medicine has been given and some mbd but he recommended calcium dust with d3 but i'm worried because i heard it's easy to overdose lizards with d3. By the way if i ever figure out how to post pictures i will post one of shuji. Also the vet was unsure of his age, said neglect may have affected his growth but guessed about a year old.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I'd say that was a pretty good first visit, it could've been a lot worse. Absolutely you should be giving him calcium with d3, it's the only way he can absorb the uvb light. A great care sheet for you to read is Deer Fern Farms, it has all the information you need as well as the correct supplements to give to your uro.

-Kaleen

herpseeker

Original Poster
He doesn't seem to mind the medicine, but i wonder what kind of calcium dust and vitamin dust is best, there are so many different kinds and i know there are alot of opinions on how often you should dush their food. He is eating primarily greens and occasionally fruit, about once every four days he gets some fruit, is that good?

2012-09-03115612.jpg

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Fruit is actually not so good for Uros. I highly recommend taking a look at the Deer Fern Farms site and adhering to the care sheet and diet instructions. It's what a lot of us have done for ours and most seem to be thriving. Your uro definitely needs to gain some weight and has obviously not been cared for properly, but now that he's with you he's got a good chance at living a healthy life. Please go to deerfernfarms.com and use their care sheet and diet, the calcium and veggie dust are on there too. I use both the calcium and veggie dust and they are excellent. I know you'll have success if you stick with their guidelines. As well as the medicine he needs those supplements asap!!

-Kaleen

Vianeth

Keep your Uro hot 12-14 hours during the day, keep them in the basking spot at 120-135 so they get the desire to eat food and digest. Have a cool side of the tank around 80ish to give them relief from the heat when they need it.
Provide plenty of caves for them to hide in, they love caves. Paper towel tubes, lizard caves from Petco, etc work great. Aim for one in the hot side, one on the cool side. If you have more than 1 Uro, give them their own cave.
Provide organic spring mix torn up into pieces along with bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, or most any other hardy leafy green. I stay away from spinach and green lettuce.
I use paper towels as a substrate because mine are still babies, but most other people use high quality bird seed (the little pebbles) as it provides good roughage in their digestive system for all the mushy greens.
They dont need a water bowl, as too much water is toxic for their desert loving bodies.
Dust their greens lightly with calcium powder every other day, and use the Repashy veggie supplements in between those days.

That's all there is to it to keep them healthy and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom