Viv pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
I would very much appreciate it if everyone posted their viv And it explained it a little to help me get a better understanding of these beautiful creatures set ups!!!!

Also I got 3 ?s

1. Are they good with handling
2.uvb yes no?
3. How much do u spend a week on veggies for these guys

Draxx

I think they are tolerant of handling, but don't really crave it. I would not consider them like a bearded dragon or in my case, crested gecko in that they seem to crave human interaction. My Uromastyx is still skittish, and am hopeful he will tolerate occasional handling for cage cleaning, but have not set the bar much higher then that.

The UVB question is debatable. Doug Dix who is arguably the foremost breeder of Uro's has determined that his do fine without UVB bulbs through the use of a good diet and supplements. I am taking a middle route myself and going with a good diet, the supplements he suggests and some UVB lighting as well. You can read his take on care here ... http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Care.htm

Compared to a Beardie eating machine, Uro's are cheap to feed. I probably spend $5.00-10.00 a week at most the grocery store of basic greens and supplement with Hibiscus and dandelions I grow at home. I user a staple of Endive, Escarole and add some mustard greens, bok choy and hibiscus leaves on a rotating basis. I also add shredded squash and dandelion greens about every other day. I purchased dandelion seeds to grow my own for times the store doesn't carry them. They also enjoy a variety of flowers as a treat..I use the aforementioned Hibiscus and dandelion flowers a few times a week.

I use Repashy super veggie on the salad every day and twice a week a small sprinkle of pure calcium/vit D.

Vianeth

I would have said what Draxx stated above regarding UVB and handling.
I feed my Uromastyx baby Kale, spring mix minus the spinach that it comes with, and bok choy. I shred these up into dize-simed pieces since my Uro's are only 6" long total. I use the Repashy "superveggie" just about once every two days, I use the turtle pellets offered at Doug Dix's website. I ground that up in a coffee grinder and sprinkle it on the veggies. They are supposed to grow 1/3 faster (according to Doug's experiments with the diet).
I make sure to lightly dust the veggies with the Repashy calcium about twice a week.
I currently have a reptisun 10.0 bulb in their 30g glass viv. They seem to perk up when its on. But I'm not religious about it being on everyday like I am with my beardie. Doug claims the Repashy supplements the UVB light but my reasoning is that since Uro's are sun lovers and love to be baked in the heat of the sun, a UVB bulb is better than it not being there. If I remember, Doug suggested to try and give your Uro's some natural sunlight whenever possible.
My viv is very simple right now as both my Uro's are only 6" long and bask, go back to sleep, poop, eat, then sleep some more. The substrate is thick posterboard paper (white), a rock I cleaned from my yard (good natural heat absorbing surface), a plastic cave/basking platform I purchased from the pet store, a couple toilet paper rolls (for hiding/crawling) and another small wooden cave. They love caves. Oh, and I have a small green salad bowl that always has food in it while the lights are on. I believe the bulb that is in the dome is a 100 watt Exo Terra bulb, but keep in mind the grocery store ones are cheaper. I had a conversation with Doug about this and he warns that the cheapo's from the store aren't that strong and can burst, while the metal base can get stuck in the dome. I've had this happen before so I would just keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom