Meet BamBam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone! I went to the San Diego Reptile Super Show today in hopes of finding a young uro. I went wanting an ornate (as I assume most people do), but after talking with Doug from Deer Fern Farms, I convinced me to go with another species as a first uro. The guys at another booth said getting an ornate wouldn't be a problem because they were well started. These guys didn't seem to have the animals interest as a priority. They just wanted to sell me one.

Anyway, after talking to Doug, I decided on a Moroccan and had him pick out the one that he felt would have the brightest yellow. I've been home for 4 hours now and BamBam is cruising around the tank, checking everything out. He wanted to see what was on the other side of the viv wall, and when I opened the door and put my hand out, he climbed right onto my hand and up my arm!

Here's BamBam!
Bambam.jpg

0630121639a.jpg

Bambam.jpg

I can't wait for him (well, him for now) to get bigger and see what his coloring becomes!
-Kelly

Draxx

Congrats on Bam Bam! I was going to hold out and buy mine (Gunthar) at the SD show..I am two hours north, but got antsy and bought Gunthar via mail from Doug three weeks ago. I am happy with him, but picking out the one you want would have been great like you did.

On the assumption yours is at all like mine, they seems to get a definite routine of when they come out, eat, explore etc. Bam Bam looks a little braver then Gunthar, although he is relaxing as time goes on.

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This was the picture of BamBam climbing onto my hand to problem to see what was on the other side of the wall (game of thrones anyone?).
0630121639c.jpg

I almost gave in and ordered one early. I've had the reptile show as my homepage for about a month in anticipation of finally picking up my uro. I shopped around and after talking to Doug, I knew he was the one I had to buy from. I dragged my mom with me and she was impressed at how much he knew and how honest he was in telling you what you need vs what he wants to sell you. When I move and have room for more vivs, I will definitely be getting more uros!

chris9

That is awesome that you were able to talk to Doug (the man himself), and even have him help you pick out BamBam :D

Did he have any thoughts on the Mali's in comparison to the Moroccans?

How is he doing? Is he out of his hides much during the day?

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He suggested either a mali or moroccan. he said both are very hardy and good first uros. I chose the moroccan for the coloring. He said if I had my heart set on an ornate, there was a guy at the show that had some good healthy ones, but suggested the ornate as a future uro. He never said I couldn't do it, but told me the pros and cons of getting an ornate vs a mali or moroccan. He really does care about the species over making money.

BamBam's doing great. He doesn't seem to like to chew or break off his food though. He took a pea out of my hand today and swallowed it whole! He isn't hiding much either. He spends all day on his log or other basking spot. I'll come right up to the tank, reach on to replace his food and he just stares at me. It's pretty cute.

Draxx

I was sort of surprised as well that my lil guy doesn't really seem to be able to or does not bother to really tear up big pieces of green. Just sort of down the hatch. I am now really careful to cut up his salad into small pieces. Oddly perhaps, I use a small pair of scissors that I think were intended for herbs, but works great on all greens to cut everything into bite size pieces.

chris9

Good info guys :D
And glad to hear BamBam is settling in well too!

I think I'm going to try to wait until i can build a nice viv like you two have. I have an empty 40 that I got to start a beardie off in that could start a Uro out in. But i think them always seeing you from above would be much more likely to freak them out.... I really want a Uro andBeardie (or Rankins) now :lol: Just a matter of which to get first :?

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Wow Bam Bam is adorable!! I'm excited to see how his coloring turns out as well. I got my uro the same way, at an expo and Doug Dix picked him out for me. We decided to name our Mali Doug! I'm glad Bam Bam is social and settling so well with you, as long as you listen to the care sheet from Doug Dix you should be successful. We have been so far and Doug is and has always been social, easy to handle, and never skittish. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of BamBam.

-Kaleen

kFitz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So just a little update of BamBam. He's doing well and pretty much has his schedule set. I've noticed he keeps his eyes closed a lot. Is that normal? He still has tons of energy running around and is basking regularly, he just seems to like closing his eyes. I did notice that lately his poops have been mostly bird seed, so today I took out the birdseed substrate and replaced it with non-adhesive shelf liner. BamBam immediately explored every inch of the "new" tank, ate some greens, and decided to take a nap on the far side of his log instead of on his basking spot. Silly lizard. I'm hoping this change will force him to eat more of his salad, although I still have a food bowl of the tortoise pellets crushed up and bird seed in there for him. He finished the shed on his face and feed, and now it's working up the rest of his body it seems. What have people done about the tail shed? It seems like that's going to be the toughest part to get off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom