???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
k i think i got most things reaserched heat 110~120 substrate bird seed basking platfor etc a hide veggies only what kind ? uvb needed ? size of tank? cohabitation? any thing else help if im missing anything also are they okay with handling

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I did I just want to make sure I got it all right but I really don't understand the cohabitat thing andrew they good with handling also do u suggest any of their starting kits can anyone post a pic of their Vivs and what's one of the easiest species I'm really looking at Saharan and Sudanese

Draxx

My understanding and personal set up is similar to a Bearded Dragon enclosure in size..actually it was planned for a bearded dragon originally. It is 4ftx2ftx2ft made of plywood and with a sliding glass door. You can easily find plans to build one or buy them from a number of sources.

Mine uses two incandescent spot lights (100w) for heat and basking and a uvb flor tube (10.0) for uvb. Although Mr. Dix doesn't use uvb bulbs, instead relying on diet and supplements as you may have read in the caresheet, I am inclined to use diet, supplements AND uvb myself.

From my understanding, Mali and Ornate uro's tends to be good starter Uro's. I personally would not be inclined to house more then one and certainly never with a different species of reptile. Few other animals could tolerate the high heat in any case.

Vianeth

Veggies: Organic Spring Mix. I remove the spinach from that because I read somewhere that spinach is not good for them. Something about it binding calcium and being toxic. You'll want to also provide them hardy greens like Bok Choy and Kale. Do not give them a bowl of water or straight water to drink from. No need for bath's or misting. They are desert creatures, from very very dry parts, and their bodies cannot handle any more water that is found inside the veggies. My Uro's expel a lot of water when they poop. For the babies I tear up the veggies with my fingers until the pieces are about the size of a dime. Sprinkle this into a veggie bowl or just straight onto the floor preferably near the cool area as they will shrivel and dry in no time.

uvb needed ? You can buy the Repashy vitamins and calcium packets from Deer Dern Farms and that will supplement the UVB bulb. Right now I have a reptisun 10.0 bulb in my Uro Viv that I occasionally turn on. I just feel nervous not giving them UVB light because they come from a very hot, bright, dry climate where there are sun rays everywhere. But you can certainly provide the Repashy supplements and they'll do fine without the bulb, according to Deer Dern Farms.

size of tank? Atleast a 40g to start. Give them a cave on the hot end (100-110 F approx.) and a cave on the cool end (80-90 F) Make sure you have that gradient of heat so that they can cool off when they need to. Buy the digital probe thermometer for that. They need caves to feel safe. It's better to have caves that just come up to their backs because that is what they are used to in the wild (they dig their own caves). For the basking platform I prefer natural things (not plastic stuff from the store), and I use a piece of driftwood.

cohabitation? If you want to pair Uro's, do it while they are very young. There is more info. on this at Deer Dern Farms.

I have no experience with adult Uro's yet, but they are supposed to be a bit more independent and shy from what I've heard. Mine don't like to be looked at while they eat. They get nervous and go hide. I've heard of some that don't like to be held no matter what you do. So in general they like to be left alone. My female has no problem being held and voluntarily walks on my hand. My male is the opposite and seems nervous or timid with any interaction.

This is just from my experience with 6" baby Uro's and the behavior stuff might change as they get older. DDF has much more experience with Uro's than I, as they have been raising them for many years and know all about the different varieties of Uro's.

UromastyxViv40g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom