New uro

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having kept beardies for over a year I fancied taking on a Uro also.
Here's a couple of pics :)

401066_328415647197771_100000880161403_914124_1596594827_n.jpg

404200_10150665327326171_632916170_11620619_1017094090_n.jpg

423738_10150663394151171_632916170_11616048_135145442_n.jpg

He is called Yoshi! 4 years old.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Yoshi is pretty handsome! Where did you get him? Is he an ornate uro? I have a honeycomb mali named Doug..

-Kaleen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Yoshi looks great, I love that first picture of him.

Always great to have another uro owner on the board!

-Brandon

MisterMike

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments!
He is an ornate uro. His colours can be so bright.
I got him from a friend who owns a pet shop. He said Yoshi was taken into the pet shop about a year ago because the owner no longer had time for him and couldn't give him the attention he deserves.
He is handleable but a little jumpy. He does a little wiggle to warn me he has a big tail weapon but he is so much better than when I got him. He would just try run away and whip out but now he wiggles then lets me pick him up.

MisterMike

Original Poster
Spot the uro :p
551087_10150757488116171_632916170_11941631_252499441_n.jpg

I wasn't exactly happy about being given wood chips as substrate as i know all about impaction (luckily from reading, not experience)
But he's never eaten any! and I put his food on a plate or in a dish so he can get it without eating the chip. Any advice on substrate for uros?

His favourite food so far is peas. But they must be frozen peas, that have been defrosted or he won't eat them (talk about picky eater) :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I see him! :mrgreen:

I like Bird seed for substrate. It's what I've always used. Michael uses it too.

-Brandon

MisterMike

Original Poster
Hey Brandon
I've heard a few people use bird seed but heard a couple of bad things also like you can't stop them from eating it so you don't know how much they've eaten and that they may accidentally eat their poop?

I'm tempted to give bird seed a go though. i think Yoshi would like it :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They definitely will eat it.

Calcifer eats quite a bit of it a day. But, she only really eats it from two places. From inside her cave, and from around her food bowl. These two places are places she does not poo in.

If I wasn't housing on bird seed, I'd still leave a small bowl of seed in there for her to eat, uros seem to like bird seed.

Some people I see use tile, I couldn't do that. Calcifer lives to dig.

-Brandon

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
I do the same thing as Brandon and house my uro Doug on bird seed. He only eats the seeds around his cave, and he poops at the opposite end of his cage in almost the same spot every time! When he eats his birdseed he doesn't take a mouthful or anything, he actually finds the one perfect seed and eats that one, and then looks for the next perfect seed... it's funny.

-Kaleen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
FranktheTank":1j76t6dk said:
he actually finds the one perfect seed and eats that one, and then looks for the next perfect seed... it's funny.

-Kaleen

That is funny that you noticed that too!!!

Calcifer does the same exact thing! She will look for that ONE perfect seed, lick it up, then scan the area moving her head looking for the next PERFECT seed! LOL

-Brandon

MisterMike

Original Poster
Thanks guys I'll get some today :)
I have noticed Yoshi only poos in the cooler side of the viv. He's usually in one of his hides in the warmer side where he sleeps alot. (I love getting up in the morning and lifting his hide up, he's all tired and floppy haha)
I look at my watch before work every day and think "Yes, definitely got time for a quick cuddle with the big man" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom