Adequate housing

Discuss Uro topics here!

Adequate housing

Postby MCHRKiller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:43 am

Im tossing around the idea of getting a Uro since Im really falling in love with reptiles after getting my first beardie. I dont want another insect dependent species and would prefer a vegetarian. I have done some reading and there is a lot of conflicting info on tank size for a Uro geyri. Some folks state 40Bs are enough...others say 75G is minimum. Thing is I have a spare 55G aquarium in storage which I purchased 2nd hand and used for fish for several years before becoming concerned about the seams and upgraded my fish to new aquarium. I know their heat requirements are much more extreme than a beard and it is much easier to achieve in a 4ft setup. But is the 55G large enough for a U.geyri?
MCHRKiller
Hatchling Poster

Re: Adequate housing

Postby Mylittlebabytiger99 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:20 pm

It depends on which breed you get. They get different sizes. And think of it like this. Their tank should be 4x their body size. But you could keep a baby in a smaller tank for now since it takes around 4 years for them to fully grow. Youd have time to get or make a bigger tank. And as substrate id go with bird seed since there's a minimal risk of impaction since seeds are part of their diet. Make sure there's enough for them to bury themselves at least like 3 inches down.
Mylittlebabytiger99
Hatchling Poster

Re: Adequate housing

Postby Rankins » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:26 am

A 55 gallon would be fine, U. geryi don't get as large as an Egyptian. I would check out my buddy Doug Dix's web page for some good info. It's http://www.deerfernfarms.com, he has been breeding uros for about 30 years. I was actually the original person that started using birdseed substrate for uros in the early '90s...Doug wrote about it in a few Reptile Magazine articles. It became pretty popular afterwards...I would recommend it as a substrate.
Just noticed he still has a picture of one of my gila monsters on his web page. I got it from him about 3 years ago :)
Rankins
Gray-bearded Poster

Return to Uromastyx