Rankins Dragons compared to Bearded Dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
Are Rankins dragons related to Beardies at all? Are they exactly a central Bearded Dragon except smaller? Or are they not related at all but just look the same?

What are some key things to look for in identifying a Rankins dragon?

Gail

BD.org Addict
They are in the same family as beardies but they are not just a smaller type of central. As adults, they get around 12". They do not have a beard like beardies do, their faces are shorter so they keep a baby like face into adulthood. They have a distinct bow tie pattern on the back and are spikier on the body.

Are you thinking about getting one or wondering if the dragon you have is one? Their personalities are similar as is their care. Rankins don't eat as much greens and often can be kept in groups since they aren't as aggressive as a beardie.

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Gail":3v1snzr7 said:
They are in the same family as beardies but they are not just a smaller type of central. As adults, they get around 12". They do not have a beard like beardies do, their faces are shorter so they keep a baby like face into adulthood. They have a distinct bow tie pattern on the back and are spikier on the body.

Are you thinking about getting one or wondering if the dragon you have is one? Their personalities are similar as is their care. Rankins don't eat as much greens and often can be kept in groups since they aren't as aggressive as a beardie.

Hey! Thank you for the information. I actually did some research and found out some more about them which you pretty much covered.

At first, the reason I was wondering is because I saw a Beardie that someone was showing off on a Central Beardie website and I kept thinking to myself how something about it looks different; such as the small size for the age, lack of spikes, lack of a beard, and the roundness of its head.

On top of what you said, I also read that they enjoy water and climbing.

Gail

BD.org Addict
If you post the pic or a link, I could tell you if its a rankins or not. I've seen beardies stay stunted from bad care/diet but even then they look different from a rankins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom