Rankins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photogirl

I've had a lot of reptiles in my life and always longed for a bearded dragon. However the adult size and viv requirement has kept me from getting one. I was at the local reptile shop looking for a second tarantula when I saw a tank with a Rankin dragon. I asked to see him and at the same time got on my smart phone and verified that the internet agreed that the care for the Rankin was the same as a Bearded but wold grow significantly less. He was bright eyed, curious, and when offered crickets he eagerly snatched them up.

Thankfully I had a 29 gallon tank essentially set up, except for purchasing a new UVB bulb, sitting at home. I decided to take 'him' home (he's too little for my inexperienced eye to sex). He seems a bit off his food but I'm giving him a few days to settle in before I begin to worry. He drinks from his water dish so I'm not too concerned about dehydration. I'm calling him Geronimo. He sleeps in really awkward looking positions and is so endearing. I will post photos of him after he gets more comfortable. He's about 4 inches right now and the shop I got him from said he was about 3-4 months old.

I did wonder if any of you had a more modified care sheet than the general beardie one. I've noticed that he tends to spend most his time on the cool side of the enclosure. Warm side is about 93. Basking spot about 103. Cool side is about 80. Should I decrease the wattage of his basking light? His water dish is also on the cool side and he seems to enjoy soaking as well, so I'm considering getting a second water dish in case that is what attracts him to that side of the tank. I've been finding conflicting information on breeder websites in particular information on diet. Some breeders say that the main diet should be meal worms rather than crickets and less fresh food than a beardie would get. I would love to get more experienced keeper's opinions.

Thanks!

kenlinfield

hello. i have been breeding dragons for some time and just this june. i too found rankins in a petstore. they are super hard to find here in ontario so i picked up the male female pair. they seem to be very similar in the diet and light demands. i have noticed that they prefer crickets and meal worms over greens. they are around 6 months. these guys are very interesting on their own. i missed them every day. let me know how you are making out.
ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom