Walkthrough on Parasite Treatment? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
Hey there, so I have two dragons, just under a year old.
I have noticed that they have irregular bathroom cycles, inconsistent fecal quality, and inconsistent appetite.
I suspect that they have coccidia/pinworm problem, as they were on crickets for a good time, changed tanks, and moved recently.

They are enclosed with a 46in wide, 22in deep, 20in high melamine tank.
365456574_1259319528_0.jpg

-The left side has a full light spectrum, reduced eye fatique white flourescent bulb (from http://www.reptileuv.com/)
- The Middle is just a heat bulb, UV A.
- The right is a 100 Watt MegaRay MV bulb, its built into the tank to keep it at a safe distance.
-The dragons can get from 17 inches to 12in of the bulb.
The substrate is paper towels, and I just put all the furniture in the oven to kill any parasites, and will continue to do that of course.
- The temp ranges from 88 to 115.

My staple feeder of late has been Superworms, with repcal calcium, and flukers vits. I have been( last two weeks on/off) supplementing Epic's, smaller ones, diet with small doses of ensure (non dairy) to make sure she gets calories and stim appetite.

My staple veggie is collard greens.

Their activity is good, but i am concerned with their digestion, and appetite.

I have made preparations, and tried to get all that I expect I would need to do a pinworm/coccidia cleanse.
For photos please go here: http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/LightReverence/Bearded%20Dragon/

-Acidophiliz +
-Panacur
-Albon (already diluted from Beautiful dragons)
-Nolvasan
-Nekton Rep multivit powder

- RepCal no D3 calcium powder
- Flukers Multi Vit, Powder with hypo-caratene
- Repta-Aid

- Butternut Squash Babyfood
- Chicken Babyfood

- Nondairy ensure

-Syringes

I do Need to get them weighed, but if someone could give me a walk thru of exactly what do to do, dosages pending their weights, that would be great.

Yesterday, I gave them multiple drops of acidophiliz+, Nekton Rep vits, and calcium, with ensure to keep it tastey yesterday. And kept the temp high. I later got a larggge, poop from (Reign), the big one, and it wasnt well digested. Today, after massaging Epic, she did a small poop, that also was not well digested.

-
ps- I also have some baytril, and liquid calcium around as well.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks in advance for your help, and your patience, because I am sure I will ask you a lot of questions and details. :lol:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I will be happy to help out with dosing, etc, I usually recommend getting a fecal first. I don't like medicating without cause, especially with Albon because it is too hard on their system.
You are very well prepared with everything that you need. Can you get a fecal done on them just to determine their counts before medicating first?
Also, are your two dragons both females?
Can you get them a little closer to the Megaray, by building a platform up for them, large enough for both of them? They would get a little better UVB emissions at 12-14 inches, than 17-21 inches. It is VERY safe at 12 inches.
I had a question regarding the temps. Where is the temperature range at 88-115, all through the tank? What is the ambient temperature of the tank?
The tank looks great, though. However, the 115 is a little high. Where in the tank, is it getting 115, under the basking light or the Megaray? Perhaps you could decrease the wattage of the heatbulb to lower the overall temps in there. They could be getting a little over heated, perhaps.
The novalsan will help with your cleaning & paper towels are easy to take out & replace. Just keep everything clean & disinfected daily & that will really help cut down on reinfection.
How often do you give calcium supplementation? For an adult, 3 times per week is sufficient.
If you want more specific doses, just PM me & we can go over the doses but I do need their weights. I really encourage you to get a fecal from a local vet if you don't have a reptile vet available. They should be able to get you a fecal done with counts on coccidia & any worms they may have.

Tracie

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613 said:
Hello,

Also, are your two dragons both females?
yes

Can you get them a little closer to the Megaray, by building a platform up for them, large enough for both of them? They would get a little better UVB emissions at 12-14 inches, than 17-21 inches. It is VERY safe at 12 inches.
thats a typo... im sorry. Its 12-17.

I had a question regarding the temps. Where is the temperature range at 88-115, all through the tank? What is the ambient temperature of the tank?
its 85-100 ish, with two spots at 110. Under the heat bulb when its on at 12. and directly under the MV bulb at 12 inches.

How often do you give calcium supplementation? For an adult, 3 times per week is sufficient.
ive been doing 4/5 once per day, as I wasnt sure if near one year olds are in that adult range.... what about for vits?

Ill get there weights, Im going to buy a scale, if i cant get one retail, ill order from online.

in terms of vets, id prefer to stay away from getting them vet tested, because that will cost me near 300 with 2 dragons, and I havent really had the best "experiences" with vet care -- is there a way i can go without for the moment? Are home testing methods viable?

Thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, you can go ahead & stick with 4-5 times per week with the calcium for now since they are under 1 year. The vitamins can be given 2 times weekly too.
Great the Megaray distances are perfect, they can choose where they want to be. Ok, the temps are fine too. As long as they have sufficient cool area, they are fine.
Good luck finding a scale, you should be able to find one though in a store instead of having to order online.
We can talk more about the dosing for parasites, once you get their weights.

Tracie

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks, I may need to order from beautiful dragons at this point.... lancaster pa seems to have no knowledge of the mysterious "food scale"

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The scale from Veronica's site is a good one, & she will ship it out pretty fast for you, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom