coccidia free at last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
just to let you all know, Trevor is finally free of coccidia :D :D :D

I am so pleased :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

A veterinary student here has been doing a study of bearded dragons and coccidia and did the fecal free which makes it even better as I was just about to take him to the vet for a fecal because I thought he still had them - saved me about $50

still can't get him eating; must just be a fussy b****** :lol:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

GREAT that the vet student did your fecal for free. I am happy that Trevor is all healthy & free of coccidia now.
I remember the person advertising doing the study for coccidia last year some time.

Tracie

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm afraid it was a UK study so there was no post on here.

Trevor is still not right but I finally found something he'll eat - those phoenix worms you all rave about in the states are now available (at hell of a price, one guy wants about $10 a tub!!!!) over here and after a couple of weeks on them he's now taking roaches too

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is great you can now get the phoenix worms now! Wow that is expensive isn't it? Sorry! Maybe you could learn to breed your own perhaps?
I hope that Trevor is doing better soon! :D

Tracie

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
been looking at how to breed them but it's too cold here yet!

Today Trevor actually took roaches in preference to phoenix worms and got off his backside to chase them :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

Seven65

Juvie Member
Zemanski":05503 said:
I'm afraid it was a UK study so there was no post on here.

Trevor is still not right but I finally found something he'll eat - those phoenix worms you all rave about in the states are now available (at hell of a price, one guy wants about $10 a tub!!!!) over here and after a couple of weeks on them he's now taking roaches too

How many to a tub? I get a tub of butter worms for $15 for a tub of 25 and Nef won't even eat them. I haven't found a place to order feeders from in western Canada other than crickets and he's never even considered looking at one not to mention eating one.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
100 to a tub but they are tiny compared with butterworms

Also butterworms only live on a certain plant in south america (chile, I think), have to be hand picked and can't be bred at home while phoenix worms breed easily on any rotting material and even harvest themselves - they breed so easily that scientists are currently developing eco waste disposal systems that can serve whole towns across the world based on their ability to consume almost any food waste (they don't like paper and wood!). The process produces not only the worms but also high grade compost as by-products. They are also environmentally safe as they do not carry disease and do not materially change the ecosystems they are introduced to (or attack anything valuable to humans), plus they discourage pests like house flies which do carry disease. The flies themselves don't even have mouth parts or a sting!

In the states you can simply place a buckets of food waste out for them and the flies will find it and lay eggs

And Trevor is now getting through 3 tubs in 4 days!!!!!

Seven65

Juvie Member
Zemanski":2e740 said:
100 to a tub but they are tiny compared with butterworms

Also butterworms only live on a certain plant in south america (chile, I think), have to be hand picked and can't be bred at home while phoenix worms breed easily on any rotting material and even harvest themselves - they breed so easily that scientists are currently developing eco waste disposal systems that can serve whole towns across the world based on their ability to consume almost any food waste (they don't like paper and wood!). The process produces not only the worms but also high grade compost as by-products. They are also environmentally safe as they do not carry disease and do not materially change the ecosystems they are introduced to (or attack anything valuable to humans), plus they discourage pests like house flies which do carry disease. The flies themselves don't even have mouth parts or a sting!

In the states you can simply place a buckets of food waste out for them and the flies will find it and lay eggs

And Trevor is now getting through 3 tubs in 4 days!!!!!
Wow that's a lot of info. I've tried to get them here but no luck, can't find anyone who carries them, but then again I can't find anyone who carries any worms other than the pet store.

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
in the summer - they are basically tropical so won't be around in the winter - try the bucket of waste food trick; they are indigenous to south and central america but have spread north quite happily; worth a try anyway

I like information - the more the merrier!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom