Coccidia & Pinworms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
I put this in my thread in General Discussion but I wanted some input directly related to this!

Turbo
Coccidia - 4+ count
Pinworms - 3+ count

Cammy
Coccidia - 3+ count
Pinworms - 2+ count

What exactly does this mean? In lamens terms.

You never woulda guessed they were sick (Cammy I wondered about cause she is clearly underdeveloped for her age due to her last owner - Ive only had her for 2 months). They both have great appetites and poop daily.

Im picking up some medication from the vet today after work and going to start treating them asap! Could anyone clarify what medication and dosage should be used? I will post what the vet tells me to use but I want to make sure its correct.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would need their weight in order to dose them properly. Are you medicating them both with Albon & Panacur?
I am not sure that I would medicate Cammy at 3+, & especially if they are both eating well.
The counts are simply the number of specimen/eggs/ova that are seen, per field on the microscope viewing area. Or, they look at the entire slide, count the entire number on the entire slide, then divide by how many grids are on the slide, etc. Most don't bother counting the entire slide if it is too numerous.
I hope this helps. I will doublecheck the doses for you if you give me their weights & the concentration of the meds given.

Tracie

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They gave me two meds, they dont list what they are on them because they gave me each dose in a different syringe. They gave them to me in baggies, with a label. But the label just gives me the amount & the name w/ the doses.

The first medication is 2 syringes in 2 baggies (one for each lizard, different doses). Says to give them 1 syringe and then the other syringe in 2 weeks. It's white.

The second medication, was a higher dose the first day and then 5 more syringes for each lizard for the next 5 days. Turbo is 1/2 cc a day and Cammy is .3 cc a day. (and the first dose was 1cc for turbo and .6 cc for cammy). This one is yellowish and smells pretty sweet.

Cammy's are smaller doses. I don't know her weight, I forget. But Turbo, my lil 6 1/2 month old is 535 grams.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am quite sure you are referring to Panacur & Albon. Do you know the concentration of the medications? It is extremely imperative that you double check to make sure they have been dosed according to their weight.

The first syringe is already premeasured for them? It should be a tiny amount then, it is most likely the dewormer, Panacur, that is used for the Pinworms. It should only be administered once a week, for maybe 2-3 treatments at the most. So give one this week, then wait for another 2 weeks, & give the other one? That sounds ok then. What amount is is on the syringe?

The second syringe, is it premeasured too then? This one is more harsh on their systems & it is the drug Albon (probabaly) & is used for the coccidia, so I am more concerned with the amounts given & the length given. Normally they do a higher dose initially, then taper it for 3-5 days, so good it is not exceeding 5 days of treatment with this drug. So the dose now for Cammy is .3 for 5 days & .5 for Turbo for 5 days? Is this correct? The dosage looks ok, as it is 50mg/kg of bodyweight. Maybe check to be sure on Cammy's weight.

Keep them very well hydrated during these medication rounds, & you can use a mixture of water & pedialyte to help with electrolytes.

Let me know how they are doing.

Tracie

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the response.

Yeah the white medication (for the pinworms I guess) is 2 doses for each, and to be administered 1 week apart, so once a week for 2 weeks.

The second drug so far they aren't getting the whole dose they fight me when taking it so some of it just ends up dripping down their chin. So I don't have to worry about over-dosing them, lol. So far they seem fine, still eating. Ill be sure to soak them longer than normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that sounds fine. So the doses are small of the Albon (second one that is yellowish)?
Just bathe them more frequently & try to get oral fluids into them as much as possible to help out their kidneys. Good luck.

Tracie

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
To be honest Im lucky if I get them to swallow more than half of what is in the dose.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is ok, as 1ml=1cc
They are the same measurement, but the cc is an older term & has medically been replaced with the ml instead. Though cc is still on some syringes though.

Tracie

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ooo IC. I noticed that it said ML on the lil syringes so I wasn't sure If I was incorrect when I explained it.

Anyways, thanks for your input Tracie.

They have 1 more dose for the pinworms tomorrow and the coccida treatment is done. They will be getting a fecal in another 2 weeks or so, hopefully this did the trick!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good that they don't have much more meds to go! Hopefully this cleared them up, so getting another fecal will be good news.
How are they doing, are they eating pretty well now?
Let me know how the fecals turn out.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom