Visible parasites? ****Updated with pics**** FECAL DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Are there any parasites that would be visible to the naked eye in the fecal? i keep seeing a large amount of something i can only describe as really tiny rice grain-like objects...they are yellowish in color. When i get home i will upload the pic i took...any ideas? the poop has been more wet lately, but i thought that just meant good hydration...i dunno.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Normally you cannot see most parasites or worms with the naked eye, no. Coccidia you cannot see without a microscope. Sometimes, you can see tapeworms or pinworms if the infestation is heavy enough.
If the stool is moist or if water is coming out with the stool, then as long as the stool is formed pretty well it is most likely just good hydration.

Tracie

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok...so these are the pics...lemme know what you guys think...
DSC03659.jpg

DSC03658.jpg

this is after i had rinsed the poop away...all that was left were the wormy looking things...kinda like yellow rice...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are probably going to either be pinworms or cricket eggs. That is ALOT of them.
Is that just from one stool? They were mixed in with the stool?
Do you feed adult female crickets to your dragon?
Is your dragon exhibiting signs of illness or weightloss?

Tracie

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yah she eats primarily large crickets...i hadnt thought about cricket eggs...do they just pass undigested like that? she seems fine, not losing weight, active, her feces are really smelly tho, and not nearly as solid as they used to...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, if she eats large female crickets, the eggs will just pass right on through her like that.
How smelly are her stools? Is it more smelly than normal? Does she eat enough vegetation & get enough oral fluids?
Good she is not losing weight. Does she have any other behavior that exhibits illness of any type?
If you have any concerns that she could have parasites or worms, you could take a sample in. You just "eyed" this correct, it is not from a microscope? There could be pinworm eggs or coccidia present that cannot be seen with the naked eye.
Based on the pics & your description, they appear to be cricket eggs. I breed crickets so I see cricket eggs all of the time. They are whitish to yellowish, long & oval in shape.

Tracie

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well the stool has gotten progressively smellier and messier over the last few months, but the recent fecal test from the vet says negative for parasites. She gets at least 1 plate of veggies a day and eats quite a few crickets still.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, that is interesting. It has gotten smellier? The fecal tested negative for parasites huh?
Well, are all of her temps good? If her stools are a little loose could it be from eating lots of veggies or greens maybe? Just throwing out ideas.

Tracie

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yah...i think the smell has gotten worse with the increased vegetation diet. The temps have all been in the low 100's, tho i recently got an mvb and the temps are about 110 on a hot day, she doesnt seem to mind, tho i may try to drop those temps a bit to her norm. But fecal was good so at least i know that she is just smelly, and not smelly and sick

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
When your vet checks for parasites does he/she also check for bacteria? I know when Semi's fecal was last done at the vets because I seen something I have not ever seen, it was clear of parasites but he had an overabundance of bad bacteria telling the vet his gut flora was off. Try giving him some benebac to see if the smell goes away. You might be surprised and it will return to normal smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom