Tape Worm Symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Can anyone post the symptoms they found with their dragon that had tape worms? I kinda dont trust the vet that took them coz like I said they are from a dog and cat clinic and not for reptiles, and the fact that she mentioned on the phone that she found some coccida but didnt write it down on the results sheet she gave to me worries me. Also, I had two stool exams done, and they only gave me on result for both!

I am going to order reptaid soon but still I want to know the symptoms.

Dawnrider

Okay here the deal, I have Mali Uromastyx who just finished getting treatment for reptilian tapeworms. I was able to see the white segements in the fecal sample. Now givien this is a Mali Uromastyx, but they are both Agamids, the only difference is that the Mali has a longer digestive tract because they are mainly vegetarians. You should be able to see the segements. If you look rather closely you may be able to see some of the segements ungulate. they will look like semi-clear white worms and will likely coat the outside of the feces. Tapeworms are common in capivity and tapeworm eggs are often recieved in their food, especially the vegtable diet which may have tapeworm eggs in it from the fertilizar used to grow the food. The food is fit for human comsumption because only certian species of tapeworms effect humans. Don't sweat it if your beardie has tapeworms though, my herp vet said the same thing. Signs might be having a great appetite but not putting on much weight. If you think your beardie has tapeworms make sure that it gets enough food, this is really the only precaution you need to take. See if there is a more herp prone vet in your location. Treating tapeworms in reptiles is relatively inexpesive and easy they go in for a oral dose once and then again for another about 2 weeks later just to make sure (the first one ususally des the trick though) for about $15 for each time the meds admistered. Thye reason I say you should find a herp prone vet is because when I took my Mali in to be treated for tapeworms the vet was very cautious about making sure he gave Mali the best med that would not cause side-effects. He had to order in the med. Apperently reptiles are very delicate creatures when it comes to deworming them, from what my vet told me. Hope this helps, keep me posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom