My poor Yoshi has coccidia...AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

twuquart

Ok, so I finally got Yoshi to the vet for a fecal test and it came back with LOTS of coccidia....much like i expected. He did come from a pet store, so I'm not really that surprized, but i really don't know what to do now. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to even get the medicine transferred down to where i live, I haven't picked it up yet, but I dont know ANYTHING about how to give the medicine, or what to look for as far as side effects, that kind of thing. I also know that I need to be cleaning out his cage, which I will do tonight and using paper towels or newspaper...but other than that, i dont know. I just want this to be as short of a process as possible, for both of our sakes. He has such a voracious appetite now, Im afraid giving him meds will make him not eat. I also wondered if i should still be feeding him his usual phoenix worms, or waiting until he gets over this before I start to give those again. if anyone that is experienced in this can offer some advice (and possibly some reassuring words :?) it would go a long way to easing my stress about this situation. Thanks so much in advance!!
-Courtney

*************************edit*****************************
ok i have been scouring this forum looking for ANYTHING i can do to make this easier for both me, and yoshi. I found that the best way to keep coccidia at bay (as well as any other bugs) is to maintain a hospital like tank. I could do that either by using a bleach solution, which kinda scares me really, or using a steamer. Well...after much searching on the internet, and finding numerous options, all out of my price range, i found a nice travel steamer on overstock.com for 24.99 and free S&H and pretty good reviews. i also ordered some acidophiliz+ to help his tummy. It has all been very expensive all added up, but i believe it will be worth not having to put him, or myself through all this again. plus, a good steam cleaning every week or so couldnt be bad for his cage or his health, and goodness knows i need something besides an iron to get wrinkles out of my clothes!! ok, if anyone can think of anything else i can do, just let me know!

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
What were the symptoms he had? I have one lizard that has very distinctively different poops than the other.

twuquart

Original Poster
the ONLY symptoms he has is SLIGHTLY runny poo. I mean, not even like, runny, just kinda wet. he eats, he glass dances, he ALWAYS wants out to explore. Im not so convinced hes really sick. I mean, i definately want to treat him if he is, the meds are only $7, but i dont want to wipe out his GI tract for something that he can resolve on his own. you know? I started thinking that his vet is about 80 miles away from my house, and he had been staying at my boyfriends for about a week before we collected the sample, maybe relocation stress caused his coccidia levels to rise?

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Wow you are freaking out as much as I did...

Coccidia is a parasite that's in all dragon's bodies just depending on the amount. Like the vet said he does have a lot so you need to get rid of it. just give the medicine and after two weeks take a fecal back and it will all come back just fine.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
wow i can really relate to this
my boy, mischief was diagnosed back in october with coccidiosis and it was an alarming amount apparently, the vet stated if i hadnt of got him to the vet when i did for treatment he wouldnt have survived! :? but luckily i did, he had 5 lots of treatment which the vet administered straight down his throat into his stomach, then gotta wait 6 weeks to take a fecal back and hopefully (fingers, toes and guts all crossed) he will come back clear, so end of this month hes due to get checked again, it has been an agonising time for me and him, he was fine for quite a while, and just the last week ive been on the phone to the vet cos hes not eating much of anything, his appetite has took a nose dive and hes been back to just laying at the back of his viv, black beard and stress marks near enough all the time, but apparently he looks healthy and his weights remaining good so he should be ok, he thinks maybe its brumation even though hes not quite yet even a year old and he says hes a big boy so because of his size hes like an adult.
hope your little ones ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom