Rescue with some issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
So, we Just got another beardie into our reptile rescue, Citrus, who is having some issues, and I wanted to see if any of you have any insight on it. When she came into the rescue, her stomach was huge!! not beardie belly big, but abnormally giant!! So, i was concerned about her possibly being Gravid, or worse, eggbound. I work at a vet so I took her in for radiographs, some tests and a fecal exam. The radiographs were normal, no eggies, great bone density. Her calcium levels are within normal limits. On the fecal, she had Pinworms.... BAD! just in the small amout of feces I took, I saw over 100 eggs. We have been treating her with Panacur Suspension for the wormies. I have noticed lately her mouth stays a bit open, similar to JoJo (Puppytoes' kiddo). I was trying to search on the site to see what caused that, and i came up with Adenovirus.
which, from what I read is linked to Coccidia, is this correct? We have done several fecals on Citrus, and she does not have coccidia. Do you think the overload of Pinworms can cause the same thing?
Also, she is anorexic, she has not lost much weight, but she has not wanted to eat. (although, it may be due to the Panacur, I know it is hard on their stomachs.) Her feces is of normal consistancy, no diarrhea, urates are normal as well.
My vet is not real familiar with adenovirus in beardies, she is doing some research to find out some info, so I figured I would research too. How do you test for it? What else could this be?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, Adeno can contribute to an array of problems, yes. Stubborn levels of coccidia are one of the problems that have been commonly associated with Adeno.
Heavy infestations of worms can cause bloating & problems too, with or without coccidia though.
You can get a bloodtest from your vet & have him send it in to the U. of Florida in Gainesville. Or, a cheaper way to go about it is to do a fecal. You can send off for a test kit which is $10 from Lou Ann Miller. Get a fecal at home & follow instructions on how to put it in the fixative & then send it back to Lou Ann. She will do the Electron Microscopy test on the fecal.
Her email is: [email protected]

Good luck.

Tracie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Keeping an open mouth and anorexia are symptoms of a respiratory problem. Because she's a rescue he may have multiple problems and this may be unrelated to the bloated stomach/parasites. It could be adenovirus unfortunately. Then again, it could be nothing threatening and once she recovers from the worms she may begin eating normally. I hope Citrus feels better!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom