I did a fecal today

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
and Whiskers is loaded with coccidia. I would invite anyone to please give me any of your own practical tips on how to better rid him of such high numbers. I've been down this road before but it was such a long time ago that I've probably forgotten most of what I knew so a refreshers course is needed!
He is not eating and has diarrhrea, the poop doesn't smell at all, just runny. He's black bearding anything and everything. Pretty listless too.

I figured I'd get him on Acidophyllis first for a few days and do a hospital tank then give it a few days to recheck him. If the numbers don't go down I'll start him on Albon but I'd like the chance to see if I can get the numbers down first on my own through cleaning.

Any advice??? :)

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Keep his tank sterile so he doesn't recontaminate himself. I would do more fecals to make sure he actually has a high level. Sometimes they shed high levels only the next fecal would show hardly any. I personally don't like to treat for coccidia and can't remember when I did. :roll: Steaming his tank every day and keeping him on nonparticle substrate will help him lower his coccidia without the harsh meds.

Remember back when, when there was a post about hospital containers. Use a bin for him while you steam his tank daily and switch him back and forth. Reptilerooms had a good article on this. I bet if you did this for a week, you would see a lower count of coccidia. Or hopefully you will. Like I said, I hate using sulfa meds as they do harm also to them.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I agree with what Sandy said about steam cleaning the enclosure. I bought a little hand held steam cleaner for about $40 at Canadian Tire, and it's been a godsend. I used it in Jasper's enclosure, at first when he had parasites, and then afterwards just for regular cleanings. I also use it to clean the hedgehogs' enclosures and wheels, and the gecko's enclosure. (Mine also came with a nifty little attachment for steaming the wrinkles out of clothes.) It kills just about everything and doesn't leave any residue or chemicals to worry about. It's worth every penny!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sherry,

Sorry Whiskers' coccidia is so high. I agree, using Albon is the last ditch effort. Try the steaming & sterilization techniques first before medicating!!
Good luck. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom