Sami's got Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

weluvSami

I took our little BD to the vet today and we got a clean bill of health. The dr. told me he was going to run the fecal and call me if they found anything. I was so excited because I thought I was doing everything right. Well, I guess not, turns out Sami has Coccidia. The vet told me that it is common and once they have it they don't treat it, so I am guessing we don't have a bad case. The problem is that the vet didn't tell me what to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sam,

Well, obviously the levels were not high enough to treat, correct? He is not on any meds right?
They all have small amounts of coccidia in their normal flora so it is not uncommon for them to have a little low levels. As long as it is not affecting their appetites, then there is no need to treat them for it.
Just keep doing everything you are doing, & just maintain the highest level of hygiene that you can. That is all you can do.
Do you have loose substrate or solid substrate?

Tracie

weluvSami

Original Poster
Correct, the vet told me that they won't treat it because he is not acting ill. I have reptile carpet and slate as a substrate. The vet told me that we may consider getting him an area with playsand to have a more enriching environment, but now that we have discovered this I am debating just leaving it as simple as possible. Any suggestions would be great. I am really new to Bearded Dragons and just want to make sure I am doing everything proper.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
"acting ill" hmmm that comment worries me a lil I would be tempted to get a second opinon just to be sure.

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
i did a fecal test on o-goncho, and there was a rather large amount in there. he's acting 100% normal and im doing every thing right for sure.i don't know what to do.if we must treat him we have to do it homeopathicly. what are the side effects for coccidia??

Beanie42

Juvie Member
You don't want to ignore it if s/he's got large amounts of them, it can lead to death especially in the young.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If the levels are low enough there is no reason to treat right now. (to the OP) So you are doing the correct thing as not to interrupt his eating regime & stress him by putting him on meds he does not need right now.

Did you do your own fecal test at home? If so, did you do a specific count, or were there too many to count? Or did the vet do the fecal?
If the levels were that high, it is best to treat so they do not take over his health. They can affect the absorption rate of nutrition & cause diarrhea too. You can treat with parazap if you want to go the homeopathic rate. Otherwise, it is best to get a prescription from your vet.
What did he have coccidia, or a type of worm?

Tracie

weluvSami

Original Poster
We took Sami to the vet where they did the fecal. I didn't realize to ask for specific numbers, I will def. know for next visit. Sami has Coccidia. What are some signs and symptoms I should watch for? Sami has never been a great eater, so I am always a little concerned. He is not overly active unless you try to hold him or get him out of his home. Any advice would be great.

weluvSami

Original Poster
I believe the fecal was only about 15 dollars. My entire vet visit was about 50, but the test itself was rather inexpensive. We just brought the sample in with us, so the vet already had one ready. Hope that helps

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Have you tried any appetite stimulants such as jumpstart or bee pollen? Those can help out.
How is Sam's appetite right now? Is he eating on his own?
The counts, if they are higher than a 4+ on the coccidia, then they should be treated most of the time to help keep the levels under control.
The stools are normally really smelly, runny & not formed most of the time when their levels are too high.

Tracie

O-Gonchothedragon

Juvie Member
ya homeopathy works really well, and its healthy.my mom's a holistic vet but we don't know if we should treat o-goncho or not.so again the count was 3+which is like 20-50

Phoenix07

Hello. I hope you don't mind if I add a question to your thread.

When you talk about Sami having Coccidia, is that not the same as coccidiosis? And is it contagious? If yes to other reptile species or can only give to other beardies? We also have a small collection of water dragons and pythons. I know coccidiosis is considered a deadly disease and usually caused by unhygenic environment which is sooo not the case with our animals.

I have a little beardy who has just started showing diarrhea - he had a little bit of brown solid surrounded by liquid white and it was rather smelly. I just gave him some flagyl and he is booked in to see the vet tomorrow. I hope he has nothing serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom