Not seeing results with Ponazuril

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit24

Hi,
I have a 5 month bearded dragon who was having bloody diarrhea. His fecal sample at the vet showed coccidia (I’m not sure at what level), and he was prescribed .1 ml dosage of Ponazuril for two days (he weighed 157 grams at the time). He finished up the doses about a week ago and there has been no change whatsoever to his stool - it’s still diarrhea with spots of blood and lots of mucus. He also has low appetite, although I’ve been providing probiotics. I’ve sterilized the cage multiple times with ammonia, and a steam cleaner. Should I be seeing some sort of result from the medication by now?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd probably give it another week. Offer plenty of water to keep him hydrated. If you're still seeing the same after the second week, I'd probably have another sample checked by the vet to see where things stand.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you also giving a probiotic too, just to help out his tummy after the round of medication?
That can help quite a bit. Reptiles recover slowly so do give him some time to get back to
normal. You can also keep him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his immune system.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom