Probiotics with coccidia treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staygold

Edit: I just found a picture of the Bene BAC bird and reptile probiotic ingredients and it is identical to the Bene BAC dog cat exotic and Wildlife mammal probiotic. The only difference that I can see is the dosage chart, the one on the mammal has higher weights listed.
So I am going to use the mammal one.
But if anybody knows if you can use the bene-bac probiotic gel after expiry date and how long after the expiry date that would be awesome. The gel expired December 30 2020 and would like to know if I have to just throw it away. Thank you.

I got a fecal test done, the vet gave me medicine for her. It is called sulfa/trim
I was instructed to give her .02 ml once a day for 7 days.
She weighs 0.96 lb or 435.5 g.
I have read that she should have probiotics when treated for coccidia.
The reptile store sold me bene-bac plus fos and probiotics gel for cats dogs exotic and Wildlife mammals for my dragon.
I asked the vet about it, and she said I couldn't use it on a bearded dragon. I told the reptile lady what the vet said and she told me the only difference between the reptile Bene BAC probiotic and the mammal Bene BAC probiotic was the vitamins in it. Does anybody know if the bene-bac Plus for mammals, the one with the picture of the dog the cat the raccoon and the rabbit, can be used on reptiles? I have included pictures of the mammal probiotic I am talking about.

Also, if the gel expired December 30th 2020 can it still be used and for how long?
If I can use the mammal one on my bearded dragon how much do I give her (I have powder and gel) and when? Same time of day as meds? During same time frame as meds? After meds are done?

If I cannot use the mammal one , what are some good ones to use?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
109751-9195866654.jpg
109751-7828167085.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not a big fan of using benebac in general because of the enterococcus faecium it contains. Both versions contain it and it can be harmful to humans (not a huge deal if you are washing your hands thoroughly, but could still poses a slight risk to humans). I suggest using some non dairy yogurt to offer the beneficial acidophilus or this reptile specific formula which is a bit sweet and they tend to enjoy it https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Reptophilus

Staygold

Original Poster
CooperDragon":14g6b3f5 said:
I'm not a big fan of using benebac in general because of the enterococcus faecium it contains. Both versions contain it and it can be harmful to humans (not a huge deal if you are washing your hands thoroughly, but could still poses a slight risk to humans). I suggest using some non dairy yogurt to offer the beneficial acidophilus or this reptile specific formula which is a bit sweet and they tend to enjoy it https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Reptophilus
I have been told that I need to wash my hands and the dishes because it could be harmful to humans. Did you happen to know what it can do to humans if you don't wash your hands properly? But thank you for letting me know. I edited my above post, I found a list of the bird and reptile probiotic ingredients and they are identical to the mammal ingredients. I will use the bene-bac this time because I am in Canada and most delivery dates for probiotics I looked up today aren't until the 20th or later and I need to start her on the medication. I will look up the other one though for the future. Thank you. Have a great day

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hand washing should help to minimize risk. I'd think of it as similar to e.coli or salmonella. Wash your hands and surfaces that it comes in contact with the way you would when handling meat or a dirty kitchen countertop etc.

Staygold

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2cpt1g2l said:
Hand washing should help to minimize risk. I'd think of it as similar to e.coli or salmonella. Wash your hands and surfaces that it comes in contact with the way you would when handling meat or a dirty kitchen countertop etc.
Okay. Thank you for helping. Have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom