Coccidia and pinworm

Status
Not open for further replies.

EHerb

So our little BD wasn’t eating he had one locust a day even tho it was large size 5 and stopped eating salad I thought maybe that was just him or the set up
Wasn’t right - anyway we have redone the viv to all the right requirements and he has started eating Altho I think that was just a coincidence he is now eating lots and even the odd nibble of salad however I got the results back today which says moderate coccidia and 350 pinworm which I know isn’t high now my question do I need to give meds or can I monitor seeming as tho he’s eating a lot again ?
TIA

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it doesn't seem to be affecting him you could monitor for now. Be sure to clean and disinfect any surface that comes in to contact with poop as quickly as you can. To disinfect against coccidia you want to use steam (heat), ammonia solution, or a veterinary disinfectant like F10. Using disposable substrate such as butcher paper can help too. He may be able to manage the levels on his own. If he starts losing weight or his behavior changes for the worse, then treatment may be needed. Ponazuril is often effective against coccidia and doesn't tend to be too harsh on them. Panacur is often effective against pinworms, and is also relatively mild. I find it best to medicate them as little as possible, but there are those options available if they are needed at some point.

EHerb

Original Poster
Thanks so much yes I am doing the f10 once a day and trying to get the poo out as quickly as possible - he has slate tiles at the bottom and I am cheating them daily I think he’s eating ok it’s just such a worry when you don’t know what your doing it’s all new to me - I think we will monitor and do another test in 2-3 weeks time - can I ask how long do I have to clean with f10 how long is the cycle ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use F10 to sanitize surfaces all the time. Especially those that are in contact with poop. I use it as a general sanitizer after cleaning (I use vinegar to clean surfaces in most cases). I often leave the F10 to dry but I try to provide at least 10 minutes of surface contact which is what is recommended. Waiting a few weeks for another test is a good idea. I wouldn't consider it urgent unless you see adverse effects. That will give you a comparison of infection levels to see how well his immune system is handling things. They can carry a small parasite load without much issue and between their immune system and a good cleaning routine they don't run into any problems from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom