Coccidia Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

aenglish238

My beardie tested positive for coccidia and I’m currently treating for it. My vet prescribed me with .25 mL of Albon daily for 10 days. I’m on day 5 and my beardie was laying in her hide today looking super tired. I’ve been giving a reptile probiotic to balance her stomach but was just wondering if it’s normal behavior to be lazy/tired and hiding while under treatment of this? Also, I was wondering how long it takes to notice a difference from the antibiotic? She’s only pooped 1 time since she’s been on it.
Thank you for the feedback!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Albon can be very rough on them. It might be better to go with a less harsh type of medication like Ponazuril. I would keep offering her water drops on her nose while she is on treatment since the meds can make them dehydrated and cause kidney troubles. Hopefully the medication will be successful and she will bounce back. Do be sure to sanitize surfaces (Especially those which come into contact with poop) with a veterinary disinfectant, an ammonia solution, or high pressure steam to kill off any remaining coccidia and help prevent re-infection. Using a disposable substrate during treatment is often a good idea as well.

Hello, I'm curious does your beardie have a super black beard? Our little guy has been sick for a couple weeks now. We had his bloods done a few days ago and his glucose is a little high but nothing crazy. He's had issues walking and his back legs tremble a little and I've been reading this could be signs of coccidia. Did your little one have either the super black beard that just wouldn't go away or leg issues?

Hopefully your little one is feeling better after the medicine!

aenglish238":1xp27nff said:
My beardie tested positive for coccidia and I’m currently treating for it. My vet prescribed me with .25 mL of Albon daily for 10 days. I’m on day 5 and my beardie was laying in her hide today looking super tired. I’ve been giving a reptile probiotic to balance her stomach but was just wondering if it’s normal behavior to be lazy/tired and hiding while under treatment of this? Also, I was wondering how long it takes to notice a difference from the antibiotic? She’s only pooped 1 time since she’s been on it.
Thank you for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom