Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Im learning more and more about this. Apparently more and more beardies are developing GNT a gastrointestinal canver and bone cancer. My Drogon is only 3 yr old and has developed bone cancer over summer of 2020 in one leg. To rule out infection she was on antibiotocs for 2 mnths. MBD was also ruled out. This fall it spread to the base of her tail and now is starting in her other hind leg. The vet says it looks like the bone is being “eaten away” like its just not there in the lesion area of the first leg and 3 tail bones. Given that its now starting on the second leg, how long does she have to live? Shes beyond surgery as an option. Shes on pain meds and is alert during the day and eats some daily. Shes also still able to walk. The vet hasnt recommended euthanasia (yet). Vet just recommends keeping her as comfortable as possible. Has anyone else had to go thru this? Being as its going on 6 mnths, my guess is that she wont last much longer and i want to prepare myself.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, sloppy breeding practices appear to be leading to more issues like this with dragons. My first dragon, Cooper, died of GNT at about 2.5 years old. I'm not aware of any treatments being provided or research being conducted into these illnesses. At the moment I think the best that can be done is to provide a healthy diet and a comfortable and enriched life for them. I would take her on some adventures and make the most of the time she has left. Get her some of her favorite treats and try to make her happy. I wish that I knew of more that could be done.

DragonObsessed

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your reply. And yes the dr suspects GNT. She had stopped pooping and seemed impacted. On xray was only a bit of poop in her colon but vet put her on a laxative anyways 2 days ago. Yhe impaction isnt improving, so may actually be a tumor in her colon and not impacted fecal. I did get bloodwotk done to test her bloodsugar. (Anyone else reading this GNT cancer produces extremely high blood glucose in dragons). And yes shes almost exactly 2.5yrs old as well. Perfectly healthy and beautiful dragon stricken w a horrible painful disease overnight. So right now she has lesions on her hind leg bones and tail bones (tail base). Shesin extreme pain so unfortunately I thinl the vet will want me to euthanize her. Im calling in the am. Please anyone thats reading this, if your dragon appears to have a bone injury or Dr says “MBD” or arthritis, or has digestive issues w no cause, have them do a blood test for glucose level. GNT produces extremely high blood glucose. It is a horrible aggressive cancer that starts in the digestive tract and spreads to the bones very quickly. Unfortunately, due to mass inbreeding in the US, its becoming very common.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about Drogon. Is she still with you or did you have to put her down?
I was just curious if you had tried CBD oil for pain management or help with cancer? I
have been on the breeders for years about their inbreeding & such. It seems to fall on
deaf ears.

Tracie

DragonObsessed

Original Poster
Hello
Thank you. Unfortunately he died about 3 days after i posted this. The cancer made his bones basically start to liquify. Its like MBD but x100. He was fine in the summer. Then from sept3 to dec1 it spread and took him that quickly. First his hind leg then his tail then his other leg abd then his digestive system shut down. Only 3 mnths to take a healthy babys life at 2.5 years old. I spent almost 2000$ on vet bills, tests and xrays but there isnt anything any vets can do to help these poor inbred babies. I am devastated. But im glad hes not in pain anymore.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. I'm glad he isn't suffering any longer. That sounds like a really rough bout with it. Perhaps some day there will be more we can do. He was still one of the lucky ones to have had a loving home and a good life with you, even if it was cut short.

DragonObsessed

Original Poster
Thank you! Yes it was awful but im glad he isnt suffering anymore. For anyone reading this, if your dragon has bone or digestive issues that arent due to poor husbandry, have your vet do a blood test for infection, calcium levels, blood sugar levels, and uric acid levels.
1. GNT is a digestive cancer that often makes their blood sugar high.
2. MBD will show up as low calcium and or vit D in the blood, 3. Infection will show as hi white blood cell count,
4. Gout will show as high uric acid.
If all of these things have been ruled out and your dragons bones seem to still be failing very very rapidly from one area to another, it is bone cancer. MBD happens slowly over time and can be seen in ALL BONES in xray and confitmed w a blood test.
Cancer starts as one bone and then goes to another (appears on xray as an injury or spot on bone and then appears on another bone later). This can be caught with amputation, but its very unlikely to be eliminated and will just put the dragon thru an unecessary and costly surgery.
GNT and bone cancer are genetic from inbreeding and are more common than is apparent. It will show up in young dragons 2-3 yrs old. Inbreeding dragons is used with the color morphs you see out there now. Inbreeding cats and dogs is illagal in the US but not with dragons yet.
MBD should NEVER be diagnosed only on xray or blood test. Both tests need to be done.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, poor little one. :cry: I am sorry for your loss.
It is so difficult to lose them & then if they suffer so terribly it makes it worse. I simply
cannot understand why breeders wont clean up their act.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom