Beardies just got Dental Cleaning and i’m worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

natcat15

hey everyone i’m new to this site, i’m just really worried about my baby who’s 12 years old. he had 2 owners prior to me and recently i got him tested because he was always getting infections and parasites easily. he tested positive for ADV. the vet said that at he probably had it since birth and is a carrier. he always eats great (except when his mouth hurts) and is very active and alert. the vet recommended we go through with a dental procedure to clean out his mouth because it was really bad and hopefully it will stop the infection (he had a lot of calcium build up). i’m just hoping i made the right decision trusting my vet, because i don’t want him to go through any unnecessary pain, but if it extends his life and makes it better than i think it’s worth it. i’m just worried about the healing process. he’s been waiting up every now and then from his drug nap and licks his mouth like it hurts.. is there anything i can do to comfort him? anything that i should look out for? he does have a little drool with a slight red hue to it. i’m hoping that’s normal. sorry to trouble you all with this, he just means the world to me and it hurts me so much to see him in pain

its been about 4 hours since i picked him up from the vet all drugged up, so i’m hoping maybe it will be better tomorrow.. praying i made the right decision for him

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had a dental procedure done on one of my dragons to help treat mouth rot (cut away infected gum tissue). It didn't cause long term discomfort but seemed painful for a bit. You might want to pick up some MaxiGuard Gel to clean out his mouth. Just put it on a qtip and gently cover the teeth and gums with it to help keep them clean and prevent bacterial buildup.

natcat15

Original Poster
i will try that, thank you so much. he’s finally awake and he’s not super black bearded, just slightly. i’m hoping that’s a good sign because when he’s upset he gets super black

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Remember too that reptiles' metabolic systems are unique. It will probably take him a few
days to completely come out of the effects of the drugs. You can keep him a little warmer
overnight to help expedite the metabolism of the anesthesia.
You could also try some raw, unpasteurized honey, warmed & thinned out some to gently
rub on his gums. It is an antibacterial/antimicrobial agent which can help ward off infection.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom