Disinfecting after Yellow Fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexaak

Hello everyone,

I adopted a beardie with yellow fungus (YF) in October of 2019. He unfortunately lost his battle a month ago today. I would love to be able to have another beardie but I know how contagious YF is and the last thing I want is to make another beardie go through what my baby went through. I read somewhere online that YF spores can stick around for six months - but I am also having a hard time finding any information on YF on the Internet. I let my beardie with YF run around my room, so basically everything I have he has touched. I do not know how to go about cleaning carpet, or anything in my room for a matter of fact. How can I disinfect properly to ensure another dragon does not get yellow fungus? Or is there a certain amount of time I need to wait to ensure all the spores are gone? If I have to wait, to totally fine, I just want to be 110% sure that there is no possibility of another beardie getting YF from my setup/household. I would greatly appreciate any information - and if anyone has any websites or sources with information on cleaning after yellow fungus that would be amazing as well.

Thank you in advance,
Alexa

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Alexa, sorry about your dragon, that is always a stressful time taking care of such a sick pet. You should clean + vacuum your room as best you can but to really be on the safe side don't let your dragon roam around in that room. Are there places in your house/apt. where your dragon did not roam ? What type of enclosure do you have, is it a tank or a custom build ? Cleaning with a soapy bleach mixture or soap and RWV [ red wine vinegar ] can kill most everything. It still might be best to get new decor though .

Alexaak

Original Poster
Hi AHBD!

Thank you for your response. It is a tank, but I was planning on getting a new enclosure and all new decor just to play it completely safe. I am also concerned about the lights, he never touched them but I do not know if the fungus can be transmitted through air and if I need to clean light bulbs or light fixtures. Do you know how long YF spores stick around by chance? I find it hard to believe that it would stick around for a long period of time without a host - but it is such an evil disease I would not be surprised either.

Thank you!

Alexa

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know about the lights but I think that if the fixtures were wiped down that they would be safe. I don't think there's a definite answer or proof either way so whatever you feel is safest in your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom