Yellow Fungus or Weird Shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenthousand10K

109028-4753317549.jpg
109028-17312645.jpg
109028-3416741882.jpg
I joined this group to hopefully get some opinions as to what is going on with my 2 year old female beardie named Ten Thousand (10K). Husbandry and diet are on point. She is my only reptile and I have had her since she was a baby. She is eating well and so far acting normal. 10K has a few places on her that are concerning me. It started a while ago on her tail, near the vent, which I assumed was a poo stain when it didn’t come off after her bath. Now it appears to be darker and some of the scales, when zoomed in, look odd. I’m now seeing similar patchy areas on her stomach, a few on her legs, her side and under her chin. I’m very concerned about the color and how patchy this looks, she has never shed like this before. 10K has done a section of her at a time, but it’s always been a whole leg, or her entire stomach etc. Not like what this is where it’s blotches all over. The dark spots look thick, dull and almost waxy, but show no signs of lifting like a shed would. To some, my Ten Thousand is just a lizard, but this girl means the world to me.

Tenthousand10K

Original Poster
Claudiusx":v5oz9h4n said:
Hi there,

No yellow fungus, just dirty/stained shed :)

-Brandon

Thank your for your response. I don’t know if it could be dirt/ stained because she gets weekly baths with a light toothbrush scrub. Her substrate is time/ paper towel combo. It’s been slowly showing up in new areas. I really hope you are right. This is so strange to me because she has never gotten darker with a shed

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
it's 100% not YF.

Firstly, YF is exceptionally rare. Secondly, it doesn't look anything like that :) Yellow fungus will have an actual texture to it most times, like an actual growth.

As they get older and sheds take longer and longer, the sheds tend to stick around.That causes them to darken a bit, and pick up on stains and dirt.

If you want some more reassurance, search this site for "Yellow fungus". You'll find 100 threads of people posting the same basic image you are, and maybe 1 or 2 of them are actually yellow fungus. All others are just old/dirty/stained shed.

-Brandon

Tenthousand10K

Original Poster
Claudiusx":3u84wztq said:
it's 100% not YF.

Firstly, YF is exceptionally rare. Secondly, it doesn't look anything like that :) Yellow fungus will have an actual texture to it most times, like an actual growth.

As they get older and sheds take longer and longer, the sheds tend to stick around.That causes them to darken a bit, and pick up on stains and dirt.

If you want some more reassurance, search this site for "Yellow fungus". You'll find 100 threads of people posting the same basic image you are, and maybe 1 or 2 of them are actually yellow fungus. All others are just old/dirty/stained shed.

-Brandon

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for this! I’m so relieved I could cry! I’m sorry I doubted your first response, thank you for the follow up and helping me understand what was meant! I’m very thankful. It makes sense the shed would look darker, since it’s aged longer. In my panic I failed to see that, so again, thank you!!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no worries at all! It's expected to be skeptical when you're worried about your dragon :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom