Suspect Atadenovirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!
I’ve posted on here a number of times over the past couple of months on enclosure advise and health issues. His tank is good but it’s large so can take awhile to warm up but when it does his basking spots can get occasionally up to 112 to 115. With the hot side being around 95-98 and cool side at about 82. Basking spots don’t typically get THAT hot, generally they stay at 101 and 106, but the tank is 4x2x2 and it’s winter. He also has a reptisun t5 10.0 12 inches from basking spots.

We got Oscar on October 20th and he ate well, was alert, and had a couple of good sheds over the next couple of weeks. He gradually got more and more “lazy”. Not getting up in the morning, eating less, and spending more time in his cave.
I started to worry a bit in December.
It gradually got worse as I was getting his new larger enclosure set up.
Around January 6 I decided to get a fecal exam and had to wait for it, it finally happened on the 8th and he was positive for coccidia and nematodes, so we started treatment. I was not warned about hydration, anorexia, or how hard it was going to be on him. We treated with albon and panacure for 5 days. He didn’t eat again for almost a month. About 3 days after finishing treatment I started syringe feeding him baby food chicken and green beans or squash, eventually got carnivore care (we live in a very rural area, everything must be ordered) added in calcium sometimes multivitamin and bene bac. Anyway, on February 1st he’d had enough and bit my daughter so we stopped and let him take a break for a couple of days.
We did manage to get him up a couple of grams over those weeks.
The first part of December he was 10 inches long. I did not have a gram scal at that time.
He was 67 grams on the day we started the albon (1/8)
He started eating crickets on February 3, never more than 10 small-medium sized and some days nothing.
He rarely gets up on his own, today I got home at 11am and he was still sleeping in his cave. I got him out and put him in his feeding tank and he got 10 crickets more enthusiastically than usual. Mostly they have to walk right in front of him within striking distance.
Today he is 11.5 inches and 75-80 grams.
My best guess is that he or she is 6 months but I guess could be more.
I still supplement with carnivore care or repti boost but never forcing, only putting on his lips to get him to start lapping. But he resists the urge for 5-6 minutes before he gives in.
The reptile vet at my office is out until Monday, then I’ll get another fecal and ADV test.
Also, after finishing tx on the 12 of January I took a fecal in on the 16th and it was negative for coccidia but still positive for pin worms. After giving a dose of panacure it seemed to make him feel bad or stressed so I just discontinued until he had more strength and a better appetite.
I still have not treated the pin worms.
Today was a relatively good day. It seems he has good ones and bad ones but he spends A LOT of time hiding and sleeping.
If he does have ADV there are no neurological symptoms.

Any advice or wisdom?
I’d love to hear from drache613

Thanks, Kelly

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Was he acting lethargic before the Albon treatment? That has been know to be pretty harsh on them. Hopefully some rest, hydration, and the probiotic will help him to feel better soon.

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
Yes! Thanks for responding.
He seemed to be going downhill, that’s when I got the fecal and was happy to have a treatable diagnosis.
I had hoped treatment would fix him but it hasn’t really worked out that way so far.

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
I really try not to pester people but.... I’ve read through so many posts where they got so much interaction.
And I feel like all I get is what are your temps? What kind of lights do yo have?
I understand but, I’m so tired. My head hurts.i don’t know where to turn

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
Is it worth the fight?
If so, what can I do?
If not, should I just euthanize him?
I don’t mind putting in the effort for a while and seeing if we get results.
Idk

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible there is still a hidden issue. It's usually worth the fight as long as they aren't giving up. A 4x2x2 enclosure is a good size even for a small dragon because you can create climbing areas and set up good gradients for heat and light.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a good sized tank for any dragon, that's great!
If you wanted to get your dragon tested for adeno, I head up an online site for help with
testing & work in coordination with a lab in Dallas, TX.
You can sign up on my page at:

www.thepats.info

If he has fighting spirit & is making some progress, there's no reason at all to put him down
right now. Many have survived the virus with little to no issues. What are you giving him to
help stimulate his immune system?

Tracie

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
Hi Tracie!!! I missed your reply when you posted it, I was hoping to hear from you! I will check out the site in a little while.
I got his test results yesterday, I got every test they could run on him and he is positive for adenovirus, everything else was WNL except an elevated uric acid.
He willets crickets but has nothing to do with salad so I have been syringe feeding him baby food veggies and he is up to 90 grams.
But I feel like he would hide till he dies if I let him.

OscarLuvBug

Original Poster
Also, I was advised by the vet that the elevated uric acid my be a result of poor protein metabolism? So she said to feed more veggies and les protein.
If he weighs 90 grams about how many ml’s if baby food veggies should I be trying to get in him daily? About?

Thanks

Kelly

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kelly,

Sorry, I didn't check back here. I can email if you would like.
How is your dragon doing, has he been eating any better? Do you have a copy of the blood
test results you could post or send me? It sounds like he was either dehydrated at the time
of the test, or has developed gout possible. Have you posted any pictures of him yet, maybe
I missed some?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom