Coccidia and pin worms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! First time beardie owner here. We have had him(?) since Oct 6. He was completely fine and then on the morning of Dec 3, his limbs were very shaky and he was dragging himself. I took him to the vet immediately and the vet gave us a calcium supplement(we had been dusting all his crickets with calcium) and a nutritional powder we mix with water and give him. The vet did a fecal and came back positive for Coccidia and pin worms. They ordered ponazuril and he got his first dose on Dec 13 and his second dose Dec 16. He hasn’t eaten in 10 days, although I give him the powdered stuff every day. His stool is still very runny. Does it take a while for them to start eating again and their stools to return to normal? He isn’t really shaky anymore and he is walking fine although he mostly just basks and sleeps all day. Trying to decide if I should just order panacur for the pin worms or call the vet again? Or just give it a while longer? He seems so sad ? TIA

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The meds can upset their systems for a little while but hopefully the coccidia is gone. Be sure to clean and sanitize everything that came in contact with poop using a diluted ammonia mixture or steam to kill any coccidia eggs and reduce risk of reinfection. I wouldn't worry about the pinworms for the time being as long as they weren't at a very high concentration. Focus more on getting his appetite and strength back and keep him hydrated.

Did the vet review your setup? What do you have in place for his lighting? If you can post some photos of him and his setup it would be helpful so we can check to make sure everything is just right for him. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

mrskschell

Original Poster
106839-1124426518.jpg

I have been cleaning anything with poop on it with the 10% ammonia solution and swapping out his basking log/rocks every day. That way whatever I clean has plenty of time to dry and air out. He usually has more stuff in his tank but I wanted to keep it as easy to clean as possible. How long should I keep cleaning like this? In the double dome I have a 150 watt ceramic heater and a 100 watt basking bulb. In the single dome I have a 100 watt MVB. And I have a Reptile Sun 10.0 18” fluorescent tube bulb. I have a 55 gallon tank. The basking area is about 107 degrees and when I move the probe to the side of the tank the temp is 83. Only the ceramic heater stays on at night. Any tips on how to get him to start eating again? I give him water with a dropper. I have been putting his calcium and nutritional supplement in the dropper and he takes it just fine so it’s not stressful for him or me. Oh, I also have been giving him Acidophiliz(sp?) twice a day since Monday.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK that all looks great. It's good that you simplified the setup to keep it clean. I would keep up that sanitization routine until after a follow up fecal test shows that the coccidia is no longer present. The acidophiliz is good too and will help with hydration (as will the dropper water) and may help benefit gut health. It may just be a matter of waiting for him to become hungry again. If he doesn't start eating in a week or so it may be worth offering some baby food via syringe (squash, green beans, sweet potato tend to be popular choices). Since your setup looks good and your cleaning methods are as recommended I'd just sit tight for now. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would recommend trying to mount the Reptisun 10 tube bulb underneath of the screen
to help increase the UVB exposure for him. I just noticed you mentioned you were using a
MVB too, which brand is it?
How is he doing today, has he eaten anything at all?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

mrskschell

Original Poster
The MVB is the Zoo Med Power Sun, which says also produces UVB. So I was hoping that would give him a good amount of UVB between the two. He still hasn’t eaten anything and seems to be doing about the same.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just wondering if you have all the heat sources on at once ? If so I'm positive it's way too hot for him. Even with 2 100 watt bulbs it may be as well since you have equal heat on both sides f the tank. The hot spot should be 100-105, cool side 78-82 ideally. He may be dehydrated as well so use a spray bottle or eyedropper/syringe to slowly drip water on his snout, give it a couple minutes and he may start to drink. [ Unless you soak him and he drinks at those times . ]

mrskschell

Original Poster
All the lights are on. When I temp test his basking area it is about 107 and when I lower the probe its about 83. He drinks water for me really well with a little medicine dropper twice a day. It’s cold where we live and his tank is against an outside wall of our house

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that he drinks and he drinks a lot actually. What is the temp. in your house and how do you measure temps. in his tank ?

mrskschell

Original Poster
Our house is 68 during the day and 65 or 66 at night. I have a digital thermometer with a probe that I use to measure the temps.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's not really that cold. How long do you leave the probe in to get your reading ? Not trying to interrogate you but just trying to rule out that your dragon is suffering from heat exhaustion/stroke. Having 3 100 watt bulbs seems like it would get the temp. too high.

mrskschell

Original Poster
I leave it in each spot I am checking for at least 45 minutes. He still is not eating, besides what I am giving him from the dropper, and his poop is greenish and white in color and kind of foamy and mucousy looking. He pretty much just sleeps all the time. I am wondering if he could be in brumation? He seems a little young for that though, I think he is about 5 months old. He has lost about half an ounce in weight

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just checking on how your dragon is doing? Has his stool improved any thus far?
Are you still giving probiotics for him also?
I hope he has started doing better. Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

mrskschell

Original Poster
His second stool check came back clear but he actually died a few days ago. He peeked back up and was eating for a few days around New Years. And then he stopped eating again for a few days and then things took a turn for the worse. He would barely move, barely open his eyes, couldn’t hold his head up. I had an appointment scheduled with the vet for Thursday afternoon but Thursday morning I could tell he wasn’t going to make it. I would not see hiss breathe for quite a while and then he would open his mouth and kind of heave, like he was going to throw up. He did this for a couple hours and then I called the vet and brought him because I couldn’t watch him suffer anymore. The vet said there was nothing they could do(which I knew) so I had them euthanize him. The vet thinks it was probably Atadenovirus. He was sick when we got him from the pet store he just wasn’t showing symptoms yet. It was awful. I felt so bad for our little beardie and so bad for my 8 year old son, it was his birthday present. So we have no plans to get another right now, my son is scared the same thing will happen again. But if we do end up wanting another one we will wait until the reptile show comes(there is usually one here a couple times a year) and buy one from one of the vendors there. Thanks for checking in on Melvin. Wish I had better news ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom