Some sort of parasite

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlyT90

So a few weeks ago we rescued Fluffy from a pretty bad situation. Since I had no idea what he could have eaten that he wasn't supposed to, I have been keeping a very close eye on him. This weekend, my husband and I went out of town for an overnight stay to pick up his new habitat. I went to clean up a poop mess and noticed some flakes in his water. He has been flakey shedding for a few days so I went to replace it and noticed worms in the water. I don't know what type of worms they were, but they were pretty tiny. If I had to guess, I would say pinworms, but I couldn't say for sure. He's been pretty stressed for a while now, as you would expect when readjusting to life with humans, and gets handled very frequently due to him not having much room in the old tank. Should I wait a few weeks to let his stress levels fall before freaking out or should I go ahead with that and make a vet visit sooner than planned?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
It's your call. Personally, I'd take him to a vet, or at the very least, drop off a sample for fecal analysis.

YMMV

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Call the vet, I imagine they should let you drop off a stool sample. I did the same sort of thing when I got my dragon. They did want to see once so I worked out a day sometime after I got her where she was adjusted to new home before taking her in. That worked out well for her. They vet may want repeat stool samples to see that treatment worked too, no need to bring her in every time (my opinion) when the poo is needed.

I did deal with pinworms, it took awhile and I cleaned her enclosure repeatedly to sterilize everything. Get some F10 cleaner, vet cleaner.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Typically you wouldnt see parasites with your eye. If you do though, they most likely are pinworms. I agree with the above, a fecal sample wouldnt hurt :)

-Brandon

AlyT90

Original Poster
Thank you very much. I didn't know vets would do fecals without having the animal present. I've never had a reptile before so my knowledge of vetting is pretty limited. I will be looking into a stronger sanitizer as well.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some ask for the reptile to be present, but it's really not necessary. I'd call and ask before hand to see what their policies are.
Good luck :)

-Brandon

I would take him to the vet. But if funds are tight, you can use Dr. Haddaway's parasite test at home. You send the poop to them and they email/mail you the results and tell you what to buy. I've used them before. You can get the test off of Amazon or their regular website https://perfectpetproducts.com/main.sc. It is cheaper on Amazon.

As for cleaning, with parasites, sometimes even bleach won't kill certain parasites, only ammonia will. but, you can get ammonia cheap at Dollar General or Family Dollar or even Dollar Tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom