Cleaning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarbharas

So my guy Pip just had his first checkup and fecal, and he came back positive for coccidia and a couple other nasties. He’s getting treated right now with Ponazuril, and although we’re only on day 2, he doesn’t seem to be having any side effects! In the meantime, what’s the best way for me to thoroughly clean and sanitize his tank? He poops in it every day, and I clean it as soon as I can with Fluker’s Organic Scrub. This weekend though, I want to take everything out and do a deep clean to get the nasty stuff out for good.

I’ve read that people do it with bleach, ammonia, or just boiling water, but what’s the most effective way of doing it? Also, should I just take everything out of the tank except for the essentials while he’s being treated? Or is it okay as long as I keep scrubbing the poop away every day?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm also going to do a very deep clean for a pinworms parasite mu bearded dragon has. Maybe someone with more experience can answer too. Im taking out some items bit leaving most in her enclosure, she also only poops in one corner, which will be really helpful to keep things clean.

My vet recommended using paper towels or newspaper on surfaces that get pooped on, could that work for you?

Wood items I'm going to scrub in water with a brush with Chlorhexidine Gluconate (Hibiclens) as a disinfectant. Then bake in an oven for 30 minutes at 250°F. I've read different things on how to bake wood in the oven. My plan is to turn off the oven after 30 minutes and let the wood sit inside while oven cools down for an hour, door closed.

I'll use the Hibiclens and cleaning vinegar, both diluted in water, to scrub the inside of my wood terrarium and glass panels.

I have one ceramic hide and a plastic hide that will get a Hibiclens bath and scrub and rinse. She has pillow/blanket that will get washed on hot in the normal human washing machine with super washing soda, borox, salt, and vinegar, and then lots of plain water and dried.

There are other aquarium fake plant and a hammock I was going to wash by hand with Hibiclens and probably leave out until I get an improved fecal test done in a few weeks.

yarbharas

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!
I don’t have any wood in my tank, the main structure is this big platform I built using polystyrene/grout/nontoxic sealer, so I probably just have to stick with pulling it all out and really scrubbing it down. Even if I could bake it, it’s too big to fit in my oven lol. I have him on carpet as of right now, I usually just toss that in the washing machine with some detergent and let it air dry whenever he poops on it. I’ll definitely replace with paper towels for the time being.

My main concern is taking everything out of his tank; I don’t want to cause any stress from an environment change while his immune system may be compromised, but if it means I don’t have to deal with parasites anymore then he’ll just have to deal with it!! I’ll definitely look for that Hibiclens stuff though.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I don't want to stress my dragon out by removing a lot of stuff either. Every weekend for the next few weeks I was going to clean everything as best as I can. That's the general plan and I'll still play it by ear, adjust as needed.

Edit to add I had Hibiclens on hand. The product people seem to recommend is F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant. It looks impressive, I'll get it in the future, I simply can't get it in time for this weekend. Get what you think is best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom