Coccidia treatment- strange poo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrogue89

My 8 month old Taliesin was having problems with really stinky poop so I took him to the vet. as I figured, he has a coccidia problem but the vet did not tell me his levels. she did say my husbandry sounded on point so that's good.

Taliesin has been on albon for 6 days now with no notable side effects (not even loss of appetite! he's eating like a champ!). I've been disinfecting his tank daily and giving him baths almost every day. the only difference we've noticed is he's gone from pooping once or twice a day to pooping every other day. Today his poop was... concerning. there was a lot of fluid but no noticeable urate and the feces seemed very dark. (have pics if needed) anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

ps- ordered acidophiliz when he went to the vet but it won't arrive until later today.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds pretty normal with being on medications. They will oftentimes cause the stools to
become darker in color. The body is flushing out so that can also cause the stool to change
consistency also.
It's a great sign he is eating so well & doesn't seem to be affected by the Albon which is pretty
surprising to me since it is so harsh. That's great you have a probiotic on the way also.
Just keep him hydrated with extra oral fluids, daily & he should be fine. How long is his medication
schedule for?

Tracie

jayrogue89

Original Poster
Drache613":11isq6qq said:
Hello,

That sounds pretty normal with being on medications. They will oftentimes cause the stools to
become darker in color. The body is flushing out so that can also cause the stool to change
consistency also.
It's a great sign he is eating so well & doesn't seem to be affected by the Albon which is pretty
surprising to me since it is so harsh. That's great you have a probiotic on the way also.
Just keep him hydrated with extra oral fluids, daily & he should be fine. How long is his medication
schedule for?

Tracie

Thank you so much for the reply! that's very reassuring! His last treatment will be on Wednesday and I'll be bringing in another sample for testing on Thursday. Hopefully the problem will be resolved. he really hates taking medicine!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great he is almost done with his meds. I'm sure he doesn't like them & will be happy
to be all finished. I hope that his next fecal exam will be much better.

Let us know how things are going with him.

Tracie

jayrogue89

Original Poster
Thought I would give an update:

Taliesin ended up needing a second round of antibiotics because the first kind he was put on didn't seem to help. The second round knocked it out completely and he now has a totally clean bill of health! Thanks for your support!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom