COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

This forum is for people to discuss the issues specifically around having to deal with infectious diseases such as Adeno virus or Coccidia.

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:51 pm

AHBD wrote:Poor little guy, can you post pics of him ? I agree with Cooperdragon to keep him off the meds. for now. I think the vet is not that reliable for treating reptiles actually. You can order toltrazuril from this site , along with dosing info. It usually works in 1-2 doses.
http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?r ... uct_id=246


I will look into purchasing that medication! just gonna wait it out maybe a week and see if his appetite kicks back in, im hoping its because he might be going into shed. I just feel like hes been so lazy and seems to stay in his hide alot.. weird -.- I dont know how to post photos on here! haha but ill look it up quickly and post a photo
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
AHBD wrote:Poor little guy, can you post pics of him ? I agree with Cooperdragon to keep him off the meds. for now. I think the vet is not that reliable for treating reptiles actually. You can order toltrazuril from this site , along with dosing info. It usually works in 1-2 doses.
http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?r ... uct_id=246


[Click image to enlarge]


[Click image to enlarge]
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby AHBD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 pm

His actions may be just from not feeling well over all, possibly from the meds, possibly from shedding, possibly the parasites. He was doing well before the meds. though so I think the sulfa drugs did cause some loss of appetite to a degree. He still looks healthy + alert though so hopefully his appetite will pick up again soon. :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22914
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 am

AHBD wrote:His actions may be just from not feeling well over all, possibly from the meds, possibly from shedding, possibly the parasites. He was doing well before the meds. though so I think the sulfa drugs did cause some loss of appetite to a degree. He still looks healthy + alert though so hopefully his appetite will pick up again soon. :)


Thanks for the positive feedback. He’s been off the sulfa for like 3 weeks now, and he was fine up until this week.. that’s what concerns me. Oh well I’m sure he will be fine soon :)
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 am

I agree he looks pretty good based on those photos. No black beard etc. I'd just keep offering plenty of water for him to take if he wants it and perhaps try some probiotics and see if that helps him feel better.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 24411
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 pm

CooperDragon wrote:I agree he looks pretty good based on those photos. No black beard etc. I'd just keep offering plenty of water for him to take if he wants it and perhaps try some probiotics and see if that helps him feel better.


I’ve been giving him daily baths and syringe feeding him water because he never drinks from his water dish. Also been spoon feeding him soy yogurt he seems to love the vanilla flavour lol :) still not eating today though - got home from work and he was in his hide all day, I’m worried!
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 pm

It may take some time for him to start feeling better. There isn't much else to do for now. I would check the vanilla yogurt for sugar content as it's not so good to offer them a ton of sugars. A little now & then is OK though.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 24411
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Got my fecal results with the actual organisms found and these were them, they were labelled as “numerous” and “many”

Oxyurid eggs
Isospora amphibiluri oocysts
Retortamonas sp cyst
Blastocytis sp

Has anyone got a clue whether or not these should be treated? He hasn’t been eating like normal, he eats maybe 2 horn worms a day and I have to syringe feed him water.
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby AHBD » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 am

Have you gotten any of the toltrazuril ? If not, go ahead + get some and dose him for 2-3 days, the instructions will be on the bottle. For pinworms Panacur is usually prescribed and is not a very harsh drug but you might wait until you dose him for the coccidia first. The other 2 are commonly found in many reptiles and may or may not need any further treatment.

How big are the hornworms that he eats ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22914
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 am

AHBD wrote:Have you gotten any of the toltrazuril ? If not, go ahead + get some and dose him for 2-3 days, the instructions will be on the bottle. For pinworms Panacur is usually prescribed and is not a very harsh drug but you might wait until you dose him for the coccidia first. The other 2 are commonly found in many reptiles and may or may not need any further treatment.

How big are the hornworms that he eats ?


hornworms are medium size, not too large not too small. maybe about an inch long. this morning he ate about 20 crickets.. maybe his appetite is getting back up? Do you still think its worth treating him? Im sure the vet wouldnt lie about his fecal results.. i just dont know if its worth treating if all reptiles have these parasites anyways.
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby AHBD » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:25 am

I didn't mean that the vet may be fabricating, but some of the parasites mentioned may not be in high numbers where other may be. You can get the Panacur [ for pinworms + other parasites ] here as well:

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?r ... uct_id=113
The same place to get toltrazuril.

It's great that he had 20 crickets this morning, that's definitely a good sign. :) You can always order the meds. if you feel the need to treat him. Reptiles do carry a lot of different bacteria + pathogens.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22914
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby babybearded07 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:33 am

AHBD wrote:I didn't mean that the vet may be fabricating, but some of the parasites mentioned may not be in high numbers where other may be. You can get the Panacur [ for pinworms + other parasites ] here as well:

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?r ... uct_id=113
The same place to get toltrazuril.

It's great that he had 20 crickets this morning, that's definitely a good sign. :) You can always order the meds. if you feel the need to treat him. Reptiles do carry a lot of different bacteria + pathogens.


Thanks :) do you think I should use panacur or the toltrazuril? Based on what was found in his fecal, I’ll purchase both but which one should I use first? I don’t think coccidia was in his second fecal? I’m not sure because they are all in the scientific names. I believe pinworms was on of them
babybearded07
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby Drache613 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Hello,

I usually recommend treating the ailment that has the most or the highest count if it is
affecting the health & well being of your dragon. If he seems to be doing fine even with
a moderate level present, you can treat naturally with Mint & basil to help with parasites.
If you are going to treat the coccidian I would definitely go with Toltrazuril, it is much less
harsh than any sulfa based medication such as the Sulfa is.

Traciet
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38564
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: COCCIDIA ANTIBIOTICS FOR BEARDED DRAGON??

Postby AHBD » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Isospora amphibilori is the type of coccidia.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 22914
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Dealing with Infectious Diseases

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users