Coccidia treatment not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends, so if you I’m sure some of you have dealt with coccidia before and I need some advice. My beardie had runny stool about a month ago so I took so stool in for a fecal and they found coccidia. I followed the directions and his stool started looking MUCH better. So after about 2 weeks I took another sample in for testing and the vet still found too much coccidia, I know it’s naturally found in their stool. So I do the treatment again but this time I had purchased some crickets not from PetSmart/Petco but rainbow mealworms at an expo. When I ran out however I went back to the chain stores and his poop got runny again. Now I’m 100% switched over to rainbow mealworms (they’re SO much cheaper) I’m left with a choice though. Do I bring in a third sample, which I feel still has the high level of coccidia. My only hold back is that the vet might have to try a more aggressive treatment which I worry about bc my beardie shows no other symptoms of being sick, eats like a champ, no black bearding, and no weight loss. The medicine I’ve been treating him with is Ponazuril (Marquis). The other option is to give him another treatment just without the contaminated crickets? Let me know if you have any advice the 2 week waiting period is almost up. Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Ponazuril should be pretty effective. It's possible he is getting re-infected. It's important to keep everything very well sanitized during treatment. What is your cleaning routine? I would use either an ammonia/water mixture to sanitize surfaces or F10SC at a high concentration (maybe 1:100 - 1:200). It is important to keep anything that comes in contact with infected poop well sanitized. It might be worth one more round of treatment but if it isn't cost prohibitive, having intermittent tests done isn't a bad idea in order to check progress.

MsMiaWallace

Original Poster
I’ve been cleaning his cage after every stool with a mixture of hot water and a little bit of bleach. I’ve been using boxes for hides bc when he poops on them I can just throw them away. I took all of his ornaments out right after he was diagnosed. The fecal test would cost 50$ but I would rather follow my gut give him another round of it and then take him to the vet. I have an emergency fund for him I just feel like it’s a waste of 50$ if I know it’s going to come back as infected.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's reasonable and I don't think another round of that medication will cause much issue. Bleach doesn't appear to be effective against coccidia though so I advise switching to an ammonia/water mixture and sanitize the same way you would with the bleach. Ammonia seems to be more effective against coccidia.

MsMiaWallace

Original Poster
CooperDragon":6rdwmk9y said:
That's reasonable and I don't think another round of that medication will cause much issue. Bleach doesn't appear to be effective against coccidia though so I advise switching to an ammonia/water mixture and sanitize the same way you would with the bleach. Ammonia seems to be more effective against coccidia.
Okay I’ll run to the store and get ammonia. I didn’t know it was more effective, I’ll start another round of treatment. My life has become very lizard poop centric so 2-3 more weeks won’t mess with anything.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lol yeah. Fortunately their poop is a good tell tale for their overall health so we've all gotten used to poop talk and poop checking becoming a routine thing =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom