After Parasite Care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby beardie Bug was recently treated for internal parasites with Metronidazole for 5 days.

He was lethargic, had no appetite and wouldn’t open his eyes, and after the treatment, there was little to no change. He is currently eating Sweet Potato and Squash babyfood because he won’t eat live food.

I was just wondering if there were any tips for after treatment care? We are getting more info from the vet soon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how old + what size is little Bug ? So he was not eating before the treatment ? What was he treated for, pinworms ? If your guy is a little one, best not to give him any more meds....they are super harsh on a baby and can do more harm than good. Post some pics of your baby + his set up, it may need adjustments to the lighting + heat. List the exact type of lights you have + what the temps. are . Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

You can try smashing an insect so the guts come out and rubbing that lightly on his snout, sometimes that stimulates the appetite.

BugandTino

Original Poster
Thanks for replying!

Bug is 13 weeks old, purchased at petsmart (which I now know wasn’t the best decision)
He is 7 inches long from head to tail and 14 grams.

I can’t remeber quite what the Parasite was called but the vet described them as tiny teardrop shaped- things inside his gut.

He was not eating before the treatment but he was eating when we got him.. things seemed to have just gone downhill.

His lighting consists of a strong heat bulb and a Reptisun 10.0 compact. The temps are 105-110 in the basking spot, 80-85 on cool side, and 70-75 at night. We use a digital probe thermometer.

I can’t post pics right now, but he is in a 40 gal tank, has a hammock approx 7-8 inches away from the bulb with a sort of plank-type thing so he can get on/off it. A hide on the cool side and a water dish, he did have a big log to climb on but I have since taken it out until He gets better. His substrate is reptile carpet/ paper towels

BugandTino

Original Poster
AHBD":2blk1add said:
Hi there, how old + what size is little Bug ? So he was not eating before the treatment ? What was he treated for, pinworms ? If your guy is a little one, best not to give him any more meds....they are super harsh on a baby and can do more harm than good. Post some pics of your baby + his set up, it may need adjustments to the lighting + heat. List the exact type of lights you have + what the temps. are . Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

You can try smashing an insect so the guts come out and rubbing that lightly on his snout, sometimes that stimulates the appetite.

Thanks for replying!

Bug is 13 weeks old, purchased at petsmart (which I now know wasn’t the best decision)
He is 7 inches long from head to tail and 14 grams.

I can’t remeber quite what the Parasite was called but the vet described them as tiny teardrop shaped- things inside his gut.

He was not eating before the treatment but he was eating when we got him.. things seemed to have just gone downhill.

His lighting consists of a strong heat bulb and a Reptisun 10.0 compact. The temps are 105-110 in the basking spot, 80-85 on cool side, and 70-75 at night. We use a digital probe thermometer.

I can’t post pics right now, but he is in a 40 gal tank, has a hammock approx 7-8 inches away from the bulb with a sort of plank-type thing so he can get on/off it. A hide on the cool side and a water dish, he did have a big log to climb on but I have since taken it out until He gets better. His substrate is reptile carpet/ paper towels

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The uvb lighting is not really adequate for a beardie in a large tank. You'll need a much stronger uvb like the Reptisun 10.0 t5 or the Arcadia D3 12 % or 14%. These are long tubes bulbs and are the very best on the market. Or you could get an all in one heat + uvb Megaray like this :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjqvG8g9DYAhUEuVMKHaVZC60QFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joshsfrogs.com%2Fmega-ray-mercury-vapor-bulb-100-watt.html&usg=AOvVaw3vorRzsGcLMxmDIjtfArj2

That's the 100 watt but you may need a 160. To feed your baby, try squishing a small insect until the guts come out and rub it lightly on his snout. Offer drips of water on his snout for a drink, very important to keep him hydrated.

BugandTino

Original Poster
AHBD":17dn56qu said:
The uvb lighting is not really adequate for a beardie in a large tank. You'll need a much stronger uvb like the Reptisun 10.0 t5 or the Arcadia D3 12 % or 14%. These are long tubes bulbs and are the very best on the market. Or you could get an all in one heat + uvb Megaray like this :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjqvG8g9DYAhUEuVMKHaVZC60QFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joshsfrogs.com%2Fmega-ray-mercury-vapor-bulb-100-watt.html&usg=AOvVaw3vorRzsGcLMxmDIjtfArj2

That's the 100 watt but you may need a 160. To feed your baby, try squishing a small insect until the guts come out and rub it lightly on his snout. Offer drips of water on his snout for a drink, very important to keep him hydrated.

Thanks for the help with the lighting! I’ve ordered the 160 watt along with the dome suggested on the sight.

He’s been doing better, he’s got a bigger appetite however the vet is concerned about him not eating live food, so I’ll be sure to try the trick you mentioned :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The MegaRay 160w is a good bulb. I'd set it about 16-20'' above the basking area for best UVB output based on previous test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom