After Parasite Care?

This forum is for people to discuss the issues specifically around having to deal with infectious diseases such as Adeno virus or Coccidia.

After Parasite Care?

Postby BugandTino » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

My baby beardie Bug was recently treated for internal parasites with Metronidazole for 5 days.

He was lethargic, had no appetite and wouldn’t open his eyes, and after the treatment, there was little to no change. He is currently eating Sweet Potato and Squash babyfood because he won’t eat live food.

I was just wondering if there were any tips for after treatment care? We are getting more info from the vet soon.
BugandTino
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: After Parasite Care?

Postby AHBD » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:39 am

Hi there, how old + what size is little Bug ? So he was not eating before the treatment ? What was he treated for, pinworms ? If your guy is a little one, best not to give him any more meds....they are super harsh on a baby and can do more harm than good. Post some pics of your baby + his set up, it may need adjustments to the lighting + heat. List the exact type of lights you have + what the temps. are . Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

You can try smashing an insect so the guts come out and rubbing that lightly on his snout, sometimes that stimulates the appetite.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 23052
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: After Parasite Care?

Postby BugandTino » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks for replying!

Bug is 13 weeks old, purchased at petsmart (which I now know wasn’t the best decision)
He is 7 inches long from head to tail and 14 grams.

I can’t remeber quite what the Parasite was called but the vet described them as tiny teardrop shaped- things inside his gut.

He was not eating before the treatment but he was eating when we got him.. things seemed to have just gone downhill.

His lighting consists of a strong heat bulb and a Reptisun 10.0 compact. The temps are 105-110 in the basking spot, 80-85 on cool side, and 70-75 at night. We use a digital probe thermometer.

I can’t post pics right now, but he is in a 40 gal tank, has a hammock approx 7-8 inches away from the bulb with a sort of plank-type thing so he can get on/off it. A hide on the cool side and a water dish, he did have a big log to climb on but I have since taken it out until He gets better. His substrate is reptile carpet/ paper towels
BugandTino
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Re: After Parasite Care?

Postby BugandTino » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:09 am

AHBD wrote:Hi there, how old + what size is little Bug ? So he was not eating before the treatment ? What was he treated for, pinworms ? If your guy is a little one, best not to give him any more meds....they are super harsh on a baby and can do more harm than good. Post some pics of your baby + his set up, it may need adjustments to the lighting + heat. List the exact type of lights you have + what the temps. are . Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

You can try smashing an insect so the guts come out and rubbing that lightly on his snout, sometimes that stimulates the appetite.


Thanks for replying!

Bug is 13 weeks old, purchased at petsmart (which I now know wasn’t the best decision)
He is 7 inches long from head to tail and 14 grams.

I can’t remeber quite what the Parasite was called but the vet described them as tiny teardrop shaped- things inside his gut.

He was not eating before the treatment but he was eating when we got him.. things seemed to have just gone downhill.

His lighting consists of a strong heat bulb and a Reptisun 10.0 compact. The temps are 105-110 in the basking spot, 80-85 on cool side, and 70-75 at night. We use a digital probe thermometer.

I can’t post pics right now, but he is in a 40 gal tank, has a hammock approx 7-8 inches away from the bulb with a sort of plank-type thing so he can get on/off it. A hide on the cool side and a water dish, he did have a big log to climb on but I have since taken it out until He gets better. His substrate is reptile carpet/ paper towels
BugandTino
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Re: After Parasite Care?

Postby AHBD » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:37 am

The uvb lighting is not really adequate for a beardie in a large tank. You'll need a much stronger uvb like the Reptisun 10.0 t5 or the Arcadia D3 12 % or 14%. These are long tubes bulbs and are the very best on the market. Or you could get an all in one heat + uvb Megaray like this :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... mDIjtfArj2

That's the 100 watt but you may need a 160. To feed your baby, try squishing a small insect until the guts come out and rub it lightly on his snout. Offer drips of water on his snout for a drink, very important to keep him hydrated.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 23052
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: After Parasite Care?

Postby BugandTino » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm

AHBD wrote:The uvb lighting is not really adequate for a beardie in a large tank. You'll need a much stronger uvb like the Reptisun 10.0 t5 or the Arcadia D3 12 % or 14%. These are long tubes bulbs and are the very best on the market. Or you could get an all in one heat + uvb Megaray like this :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... mDIjtfArj2

That's the 100 watt but you may need a 160. To feed your baby, try squishing a small insect until the guts come out and rub it lightly on his snout. Offer drips of water on his snout for a drink, very important to keep him hydrated.


Thanks for the help with the lighting! I’ve ordered the 160 watt along with the dome suggested on the sight.

He’s been doing better, he’s got a bigger appetite however the vet is concerned about him not eating live food, so I’ll be sure to try the trick you mentioned :)
BugandTino
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Re: After Parasite Care?

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm

The MegaRay 160w is a good bulb. I'd set it about 16-20'' above the basking area for best UVB output based on previous test results.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 24535
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Dealing with Infectious Diseases

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users