Anyone heard of this parasite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking my beardie to the vet on uesday. He's almost a year (we've had him since May) so I thought a check up would be good. Also, I wanted a clear fecal as I am getting a larger viv for him next week and changing his substrate. I decided to take the fecal sample in earlier so that results would be ready for the appointment. They called back and said that he had a parasite called "Entamoeba Hartmanni-like cysts"...I've googled it and I've seen entamoeba histolytica, but it's not the same. Anyways, not sure what this is...thoughts?

Beagle23

Hey there!! :D

I found this link that may help. I haven't heard of the amoeba but you may find some information here:

http://eol.org/pages/491178/overview

If it doesn't load here is what it says:
Entamoeba hartmanni (along with Endolimax nana, Ent. coli, Ent. polecki, and Iodamoeba buetschlii) are generally considered nonpathogenic and reside in the large intestine of a human host. Both cysts and trophozoites of these species are passed in stool and considered diagnostic. Cysts are typically found in formed stool, whereas trophozoites (the active stage) are typically found in diarrheal stool. Colonization of the nonpathogenic amebae occurs after ingestion of mature cysts in fecally-contaminated food, water, or fomites (i.e., inanimate objects or substances capable of transferring pathogens). Excystation (release of the trophozoite from the cyst) occurs in the small intestine and the trophozoites migrate to the large intestine. The trophozoites multiply by binary fission and both trophozites and cysts are passed in the feces. Because of the protection conferred by their cell walls, the cysts can survive days to weeks in the external environment and are responsible for transmission. Trophozoites passed in the stool are rapidly destroyed once outside the body and if ingested would not survive the gastric environment. Entamoeba hartmanni has a worldwide distribution.

I know they only talk about humans but that's what I was able to find so it probably won't help :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Amoebas are fairly common, did they not give any specifics? Are they wanting to give any
medication for him?
Is he eating well right now & maintaining his weight?
If he isn't sick or losing weight, it's usually best not to medicate most of the time. If you
need any help with your setup let us know.

Tracie

CharlotteM

Original Poster
The receptionist had one of the vets look at the results Friday. We go Tuesday and see eh actual herp vet. She will determine if he needs treatment. For the past 2-3 weeks he’s been going to bed earlier and will occasionally go j see his rock to sleep mid day. Pooping regularly and eating is fairest normal, maybe a tinge less on some days. I took the fecal sample in earlier so we’d have the result in time for the appt being it’s he holidays. I wasn’t sure if he was trying to Brumate. He’s just about a year. His husbandry is correct (I’m fairly certain)...UV bulb extends over 2/3 of his viv. T8, 10.0 reptisun, basking spot is kept between temps of 103/104-108...given fresh greens daily, fresh water daily (usually to go in if he’s shedding), crickets given most days woh some wax, butter and supers in there for variation. I guess I’ll see what the vet says.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Tracie that most reptiles carry these types of organisms with no problem. Be wary of any long course of antibiotics which can and does often lead to a decline in health because of throwing off the balance of good bacteria + some pathogens needed in their G.I. tract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom