Page 1 of 1

Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 pm
by Vicky1234
[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Hi guys, I just got a bearded dragon a week ago and he has been doing well, apart from a very low appetite. Ever since we got him we noticed he has yellow stains on his belly but the person at the store told us that it’s probably just old feces that dried. We tried washing it, it wouldnt come off and now he shed that skin off and his belly was all white. A day later, I noticed that the yellow stains are back even though he shedded that skin. Is this yellow fungus? He’s still a juvenile and is only three months old. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:14 am
by AHBD
Hi Vickie....it does sound like probable Y.F, sad to say. Pics will be very helpful to identify so please post some. Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:28 pm
by Vicky1234
[Click image to enlarge]
AHBD wrote:Hi Vickie....it does sound like probable Y.F, sad to say. Pics will be very helpful to identify so please post some. Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:31 pm
by Vicky1234
AHBD wrote:Hi Vickie....it does sound like probable Y.F, sad to say. Pics will be very helpful to identify so please post some. Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Hi thanks for the feedback I am attaching a photo of his belly he also has an in large Swollen foot I will send that image shortly.thanks so much for the help

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:32 pm
by Vicky1234
[Click image to enlarge]
AHBD wrote:Hi Vickie....it does sound like probable Y.F, sad to say. Pics will be very helpful to identify so please post some. Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 am
by CooperDragon
That does look suspicious. It's definitely not dried feces. It could be just a dark yellow tinted shed but I would have it checked by a vet for yellow fungus. If it is YF it looks like it's fairly early stages so that gives me hope for recovery using a combination of topical antifungals and oral meds like Voriconizole. That F10 should help prevent spread and reduce risk of reinfection once treatment has started if YF is confirmed. The F10 is good to have on hand for cleaning either way though.

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:06 pm
by Drache613
Hello,

I agree, it's hard to tell but does look a little off to me also.
The vet can take a skin culture/sample & send it to the lab to see if it's fungal in nature. I
hope that it isn't because fungus is so hard to get rid of!
If you have any loose substrate, do replace it with a non loose substrate, like paper towels,
newspaper, or a towel that you can wash easily. The F10 is very helpful in keeping everything
all sanitized, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:08 pm
by Vicky1234
CooperDragon wrote:That does look suspicious. It's definitely not dried feces. It could be just a dark yellow tinted shed but I would have it checked by a vet for yellow fungus. If it is YF it looks like it's fairly early stages so that gives me hope for recovery using a combination of topical antifungals and oral meds like Voriconizole. That F10 should help prevent spread and reduce risk of reinfection once treatment has started if YF is confirmed. The F10 is good to have on hand for cleaning either way though.



Thank you so much for all the tips. Really appreciate the help!

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:10 pm
by Vicky1234
Drache613 wrote:Hello,

I agree, it's hard to tell but does look a little off to me also.
The vet can take a skin culture/sample & send it to the lab to see if it's fungal in nature. I
hope that it isn't because fungus is so hard to get rid of!
If you have any loose substrate, do replace it with a non loose substrate, like paper towels,
newspaper, or a towel that you can wash easily. The F10 is very helpful in keeping everything
all sanitized, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie


Thanks a lot Tracie. We ended up bringing him back to the pet store and the owner said they will keep him under supervision and will give us a new beardie.

Really appreciate all the help!

Re: Bearded dragon - yellow fungus?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:33 pm
by CooperDragon
Hopefully they can treat him and get him better. It's important to thoroughly sanitize everything he came in contact with and treat it like it's a YF infection. It is pretty contagious and can spread to your new dragon if not careful.